thieves

BEEP! Sorry, wrong answer. Thanks for playing. Its COMMON KNOWLEDGE that the key codes have been recorded with the billing invoice since at least 1970. You're just too god damn stubborn at your old age!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

I forgot to add: You don't win a cookie!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

There is nothing in the VIN# sequence itself that reveals the key code. That is correct. However, the VIN# is a unique number. It is a very simple database that can cross reference the VIN# to what key code is for that vehicle. It's the same process whereby your insurance company knows from the VIN# if your car has ABS or not. The fact it has ABS (or not) is not anywhere within the VIN#, but they know from the VIN# none-the-less since the VIN# opens a database record of all sorts of other (separate) information about the car.

This is really very elementary database concepts....very easy to do. Not sure why you're so hung up on "where in the VIN# itself the key code is", since that is irrelevant. Any junior database designer can tie any separate piece of data to any unique number, be it a key code or what color the buyers eyes are (if they wanted to).

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Perhaps to you it is plausible, but the build number will not reveal the key code either

mike hunt

Phillip Schmid wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

I know all about VIN number and invoices. I was in manufacturing for thirty years as a design Engineer and Group Sales Manager for ten year for one of the largest megadealerships on the east cost, with 28 stores that sold just about any brand, you can name The fact remains one can not steal a vehicle by simply knowing the VIN and going to a dealership and obtaining a key as the original poster suggest. If you think you can then please do us all a favor take that VIN number, for the vehicle that guy recently posted, do you simple database search and tell us the key code for that vehicle..

mike hunt

"James C. Reeves" wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson

How about calling up the service department for a dealership and asking if they can key a blank off the VIN.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Ok, then how did it come out of the VIN? I posted a story from a news station that did it! Here's the link again, I suggest you read it.

Phillip Schmid

Mike thinks it's an urban legend...where do you go to check out urban legends? snopes.com. I wonder if anything will be turned up there?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

You've been around cars and dealerships that long ? How come you know so little about cars then.

The

Reply to
Mike

As I posted earlier, I did just this (dealership needed a title and photo ID, dialed an automated GM line, entered my VIN number, got a faxback with the correct PASS-KEY and keycodes to cut duplicate keys (ignition and door lock)). Said keys were just like the ones I got from the factory, and opened and started the car multiple times (until I found the missing keys/fob under the seat of my wife's car :-)

I know you don't want to believe you're wrong, but you're wrong...

Reply to
Zaphod Beeblebrox

That sounds right. Find any thing?

I also think Mike's the same one that I argued with about ABS on here a couple months back.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Thanks for helping to prove me point, that the original post was BS. You just demonstrated that one can not steal a vehicle by simply knowing the VIN and going to a dealership and obtaining a key as the original poster suggested. You had to prove to the dealership that you were the owner before they would cut you a key..

mike hunt

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Reply to
DuctyRhoades

the VIN # from the label on the >dash, go to the local car dealership and request a >duplicate key based on the VIN #.

How is that a fact, mike? We've all gone through how it's possible to cut a key with just a VIN, and some people have gone to known careless dealers and actually done it. And all you can do is plug your ears and says "it's BS." So explain to me how it is NOT possible.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Actually:

Claim: Thieves have stolen cars by using VINs to obtain duplicate keys through auto dealerships.

There you go, mike. NOT an urban legend.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

You really are pathetic, Mike. You just keep weaselling around as everyone points out the fact that the key code is "tied" to the VIN. Now you are going to pretend that your "real" point was that you can't just waltz into a dealership and get a key cut for any old VIN you want. Just say "I was wrong, you guys were right"....it's not that hard.

I talked to the parts guys at work today, of course everything I've been saying about this is true. In fact, unless you bought the car at our store, you "must" have the VIN in order to get the key code. Obviously, you also have to provide proof of ownership, photo id...yada yada yada....we already knew all that. The parts personnel will log onto the GM ACCESS site, punch in the VIN number and hey presto...there is the key code, complete with any info necessary if the key happens to be a security key. In other words, if the key has a resistor, that VIN will tell you what resistance "that" key will be.

Our dealership also ties the key code to the service record of the vehicle if it was bought at our dealership. So regular customers don't have to jump through all the hoops to get a key made.

I think you owe everyone in this thread a hundred dollars. I'd be happy to send you a Paypal invoice if you want!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Unfortuantely for you mike, the human element isn't perfect, and not all dealerships check. The conscienscious ones do, but I know fo a few who will hand you a key with just the VIN, sight unseen.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

mike hunt

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

I did just that, and here is your original post. Just admit you are wrong.

" That is a bunch of BS. One can NOT obtain the key code from the VIN#, period. If indeed a dealer told you that he must have been your selling dealer, knew you, and had recorded you code number, if not he was full of BS as well. The only way a dealer could get a key code is from the selling dealer IF he recorded it when the car was delivered. Few dealers would assume the liability of giving a key code to anybody but the registered owner, in any event. There is a key code hidden on some of the vehicle, but it s not easily visible without disassembling some part of the vehicle. That place varies by manufacture. The VIN# has 17 digits each of which has a particular designation but none has anything to do with the key code. The VIN# is assigned to a vehicle after it is bucked. The day the buck is sent to the assembly line, is the day the lock assemblies and keys are assigned to a given vehicle and the code is attached to the keys for the dealer to record. "

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike

Weasel! Another poster quite handily pointed out what you've said on the matter. Quit your flip flopping and admit you're wrong on the matter. It'll do ya good!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

A thief can not get a key code by simply knowing the VIN# There is nothing to admit. That post is concise and correct.

mike hunt

Mike wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2