Toyota blames costs, not UAW, for NUMMI pullout

That may be your opinion but it defies logic. The fact is GM has been the number one seller in the US since the fifties.

Do think all the millions of buyers, continue to chose to buy GM cars had problems, but bought from GM again and again be because they liked bad cars? LOL

"Joe$#itForBrains"

Please tell me what

Reply to
Mike

Liked them? No. Thought it was normal? Absolutely.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.

An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Toyota didn't sign contracts with the UAW. NUMMI did.

And to agree to a contract.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Actually, it assembles vehicles in the US with mostly US materials. All the car makers who make cars in the US use parts from the US and from outside the US. In the case of Toyota,

You might want to remind NUMMI and UAW about this. Both the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Corrolla have less than 70% US content. Toyota imports Corrollas from Japan, which explains the lower number. However, GM didn't.

An alternative explanation is that you made up the contract or don't know what you're talking about.

Jeff

===============

Mike is drinking again. Watch his writing deteriorate over the next few hours.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why are so many domestic cars and trucks traded in on import brands?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Perhaps if you'd take the jump into the 2000's (or even the 90's), you'd understand.

Reply to
80 Knight

Sorry, but I have to call bullshit here. Take a look at Toyota's recall list, then get back to me.

Reply to
80 Knight

Sadly, I think you're mistaken. This appears to be his baseline. However, what you say makes sense.

Reply to
Jeff

I already have, but it doesn't apply to a period in history when there WERE NO top quality SLR 35mm cameras made in America, and there still aren't.

If something is not and never was made here in America but you want one, what do you suggest? Do without this unique thing, or buy something of lesser quality because it's made here?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Four Toyotas later, I've never had a STUPID PROBLEM which made it obvious that my car was made on a Friday by angry union workers. Yes, there were recalls, but all manufacturers have those.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 10:33:26 -0400, C. E. White fired up the etcha-a-sketch and scratched out:

Heh, that's an understatement!

I've been trying to get my wife to cash in and move out of here for a dozen years.

One of my college friends lives up in Belmont, a city near San Francisco. We stopped by last month while on a road trip. Her husband suggested we look into the area for moving.

I did.

I was completely shocked. Now, I know the area we live in - near Los Angeles - is way overpriced. Housing alone goes for $300 - $350 per square foot in my area. Then there are the gas prices, excessive taxes (I just paid $550 for my annual license registration for my '06 Avalanche.)

The price for a simple no-frills house in Belmont shocked me - $550-$650 per square foot.

Add to that the taxes and extra costs, it is no wonder companies are leaving by the droves.

As for Toyota - who used to be a customer of mine - I'm not surprised their located in a nice inexpensive state like Kentucky.

Reply to
PerfectReign

He's an old guy with old ways of thought. When he's gone a new generation of car owners will be ascendant. Sort of reminds me of those who remember Pearl Harbor as an excuse to be anti-Jap. Just a generation later, but the same way of thinking. Tells the kids, "Back in '82, when you were just a twinkle in your dad's eye, I had an altercation with a Chevy Citation......" So sad.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

If you'd owned a hideous product which now costs $20K to $40K, would you risk that money just to see if the product had improved 20 years later?

Yes or no? Don't lie.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm old enough to remember the cars from the '50's. People were proud of putting up with hard starting, stalling when driving through a puddle, not starting in the rain or snow, total crap suspensions with almost zero cornering traction. ANd they kept buying them because there was no alternative. A lot of people today will buy American because they feel patriotic. I can't say American cars have not gotten better, but I need a car to last at least 10 years and get close to 200,000 miles or better.

Reply to
edspyhill01

Just to see if it's better? There are other ways to find out if a car company is making better models, like consumer reports and cars owned by friends. People do share information about cars, read reviews in the paper (although one must be careful because many of the reviews are poorly-disguised ads), and read car magazines. Car companies do get reputations for quality of cars.

BTW, when I buy a Ford Fusion, I don't buy an newer version of an old Mustang, but a totally different car. Ford makes some great cars and some cars that are not so good. Ditto GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Kia and all the rest (at least those sold now in the US - some like Yugo were never good).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There are many American cars that meet your requirements, like the Ford Focus and Fusion. There are many import cars that meet your requirements, too. And many import ones that don't.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Nope. Hey, I was yanking your chain, albeit with an element of truth. I've had real good luck with GM cars, but I only buy proven track record models, used, and I'm a pretty good mechanic. Because of attitudes like yours, I get real good value, though I don't help the car manufacturers at all. Never been in my blood to buy a new car. But if I did I would do a current price/value calculation, not look at

70's, 80's cars. No sense in that. Of course I've never been burned like you have. That would no doubt change my attitude, as it has for many. As it is, I would seriously look at some GM offerings such as the Malibu or Impala, but the price would have to be right and it would have to be made in the U.S.A. Toyotas and Hondas often qualify more on that score than GM cars.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

02 Chevy Blazer - currently at 183,000+ and going strong. 97 Chevy Blazer - currently at 192,000+ Did have to replace the engine in it (former owner spun a bearing, of course not changing the oil for 3 years and running the crap out of it will do that!) 1994 S Blazer - retired it with 205,000 on it. Only reason was it took out 2 deer and I got the 97 cheap. We just used it for training at the fire station. 1990 Olds Cutlass S Retired it with somewhere over 190K, It also became training fodder (it was replaced with the 02) 1985 Pontiac (wrecked at 120K)
Reply to
Steve W.

I, and many others, say the same of our GM cars.

Reply to
80 Knight