V5 compressor seal replacement

My 1996 S10's V5 compressor seems to have a bad seal behind the clutch. I evacuated it and added one can of R134a and it was trying to work. (did not add any more R134 until i was sure it was not leaking) But when i shut it off, i could hear the constant hiss in the area of the compressor clutch long after the motor was off. I had dye in the system, but could not see behind the compressor clutch.

What special tools do i need to do this? I know there are two groups of them. One set to take off the clutch and put it back on, and another set to remove the seal and put it back on. I don't need a $250 tool set to do this once. Autozone might have the clutch tools in there loaner program, but i don't think they have the seal tools. Any suggestions to do this economically? Since the compressor is still pumping, i hate to replace it when all it probably needs is a front seal?

From what i see on line, these compressors are prone to leak. Any tips? Will any other cars V5 sub to a S10? From what i can tell, the early ones used o rings on the back and will not directly sub.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

My advice: Replace the compressor. If the system never completely emptied of refrigerant you could probably get away with changing JUST the compressor rather than the compressor and the receiver/dryer.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
Bob Urz

I'd put the system under vacuum and see if the vacuum holds, before I jumped to any conclusions. The compresssor has a high-pressure relief valve which may be the 'hiss' you hear.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

A lot of times these seals fail because the compressor wears. You are sealing in a high pressure gas here so every little bit counts... As the bearings wear and allow just the tinniest bit of wobble of the compressor shaft the seal will fail. You can replace it but the new one will fail again in short order.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.