Warm key..

So, I have a 90 Olds Cutlass supreme. It was hot outside yesterday, and when I got home, I pulled the key out of the ignition, and noticed it was hot. I also noticed that the metal portion of the steering column was hot also. Should I be worried?

Reply to
clevere

Could an exhaust pipe be heating the column ? I doubt it's electrical, as the switches are auctuated by long rods on most cars. Pre column ignition switches carried current in the lock cylinder body, newer cars have switches mounted near floor.

Reply to
451ctds

No. Metal parts get hot when it's hot outside.... Try touching a piece of chrome on your car when it's 95+ outside....

Reply to
havok1977

Better yet, try starting my 86 Bonneville when it's that hot and the sun has been shining on the ignition for awhile...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Z.

Lol same with my park ave :)

Reply to
havok1977

Thanks for the reply guys... I had some trouble with wiring in the gas tank, and replaced it using a different harness so I was a little concerned .. but I'm not worried about it any longer.

Reply to
clevere