What is a Chevy Aveo?

I really never buy small cars, but I noticed a CHEVY AVEO on the road today. What is it? Is it made in the USA or imported under a Chevy label? Looks like a Toyota Echo/Scion xA.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Shep

Too lazy. Just feed me the answer!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

It's a Daewoo with a bowtie.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

Ah! Thanks! I knew it didn't "look American". The Cobalt does...but I hear it's a Detroit built Opel.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
Paradox

Right!

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

Nope, but the old Cavalier is a better looking car then either the new Cobalt or the Aveo.

Reply to
Hardpan

I no longer buy domesticly made or owned vehicles, but I have to disagree. I think for a small car, the Cobalt was done up nicely.

Reply to
D.D. Palmer

It is made in Korea by GM subsidiary, Suzuki..

mike hunt

"D.D. Palmer" wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

No, it's made by Daewoo. In Korea. Vehicles like Trackers were made by Suzuki.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

To each his own.

Reply to
Hardpan

Np so.. Daewoo no longer makes vehicles. Daewoo exists as a part suppler only and a dealership group. GM bought the Daewoo factories several years ago in bankruptcy court but not the name or the parts of dealership group organization. The vehicles assembled in former Daewoo factories in Korea wear Suzuki and Chevy brands.

mike hunt

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

Not technically true. In Korea, they still sell the Daewoos, though it is under GM management.

The model in quesion is the Daewoo Kalos. IT's a piece of junk and sells for $7K in Korea(adjusted for exchange rates!). Slap a Chevy label and some smog equipment on it and presto - $11K piece of junk.

I'd take a Cavallier over this anyday.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Its an econo-box. Buy a bigger car.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,555 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

^^^ Impressive aren't those 3.8 engines? :) Mine's got 180K on it now and even though it gets maybe 20mpg, it won't die.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

as part of the Daewoo bailout, GM now gets to sell some of their cars - the Chevy Epica is another one - and suzuki also sells a version. Strange how under-marketed they are compared to the rest of the chevy family, huh?

Reply to
bass-player

as part of the Daewoo bailout, GM now gets to sell some of their cars - the Chevy Epica is another one - and suzuki also sells a version. Strange how under-marketed they are compared to the rest of the chevy family, huh?

Reply to
bass-player

The Aveo, built in South Korea and based on the Kalos, built by General Motors-controlled Daewoo,

Ah, but we were talking about the new Aveo-which you may pronounce ah-vay-oh or av-ee-oh, your pick. You could also call it a Kalos, since that is the name of the Daewoo model on which it is based.

The Chevrolet-badged Aveo is built by Daewoo to North American specifications.

Note the Aveo is built in South Korea, too, and comes to Chevy after parent company General Motors Corp. bought some of the assets of the failed Daewoo car company.

It's based on a globally popular model called the Kalos built by Korean carmaker Daewoo.

Pronounced Ah-VAY-oh, it's a product of GM-DAT - General Motors-Daewoo Auto and Technology, formed when GM bought controlling interest in the bankrupt Korean automaker Daewoo in 2002. Suzuki's smaller stake in the company means that the Korean-built Aveo also emerges as the Suzuki Swift+

2004 Chevrolet Aveo: Highlights

This new entry-level model sticks a Chevrolet badge on a car designed by the now-bankrupt Daewoo Motor Company, Ltd. Aveo is built in South Korea by GM Daewoo Automotive Technologies, formed by General Motors after it bought parts of Daewoo.

There are probably thousands more that could be quoted off the internet. These are not built "by" Suzuki, they are built "for" Suzuki "by" GM Daewoo. They are Korean built, not Japanese built. But you believe whatever you want.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Obviously you are not a GM shareholder. If you were, lile I, you would know the factories owed by the former, now defunct company know as Daewoo are now owned by GM. Those factories are now run by Suzuki where they build vehicles in those plants that wear Suzuki and GM brand labels. Daewoo has gone the way of DeSoto, Packard, Oldsmobile etc. ;)

mike hunt

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
MelvinGibson