windshield replacement

I want to replace the cracked windshield in a '98 Olds Intrigue. Someone told me that the windshields are no longer sealed into place by that black tar "rope" they used to use, but rather by some epoxy-like stuff that sets up hard, like Bondo or something -- to make it so the windshield is part of the structural strength of the roof. As such, it sounds like I can't use my old Blue Point brand windshield tool, which consists of an aluminum T-handle connected to a cable with an L-shaped blade at the end. It used to slice through that tar-like stuff nicely, but wouldn't work if they are using cement-like stuff instead. Is that indeed the case with modern windshield applications? And if so, what is used to remove them? TIA

Reply to
Frank Snotrag

Something like that, yes

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You might get your old knife to work some places, around the corners maybe, but you need some "piano wire" type wire to do most of it.

They probably sell you a roll when you buy the glass.

They got your adhesive and advice too, but those things are no fun to cut out.

Dick Cheney

Most of the new stuff doesn't set up "hard" it is still pliable (if it wasn't the first time the sun hit the glass and the body you would see the glass break due to stresses caused by different thermal properties)

The tool you have will cut the sealant BUT in may not cut all of it because the bead is usually wider than the old butyl rubber. The current tool of choice is a vibratory knife that you run around the glass from inside.

However you can still use the old wire saw type of cutter. They work well but take some work.

To install the new glass you will want to check the pinch weld for rust, mount the new trim to the glass, then set it into the bead of new Urethane sealer you put in place. You don't have to remove all the old sealer IF you cut it cleanly and it is still bonded to the vehicle. If it's a clean cut you can lay a thin bead on top of the cut and lay in the new glass.

Personally, unless I have extra time it is MUCH faster and usually cheaper to just have Safelite come to the shop. They bring the new glass, sealer and do the job in less time and clean up and take the old glass with them, Plus give you a warrantee as well. I think the last one was about 350 bucks.

Reply to
Steve W.