DIY windshield replacement

Seems like windshield replacement is something that the do-it-yourselfer rarely tackles. Has anyone replaced a windshield on their pickup on their own, without taking it to a windshield shop?

I used to replace windshields on the old VW bugs and vans all of the time. They were held in by a rubber moulding. AFAIK the present day windshields are all glued in and are considered to be part of the structure of the vehicle. They must not pop out in case of an accident and are considered part of the roof support. That's why installers are certified. I just did a search for DIY windshield installs and found a site in Houston that sells windows and vents for DIY'ers; but they do not sell windshields.

-- Jarhead

Reply to
Jarhead

And make sure that the shop that does it has a nice long warrantee that will be effective nationwide should you move. We had the windshield replaced in our RAV-4 and then moved 1,300 miles away. A year later, the sealant developed leaks which resulted on wind whistles and highway speeds. They re-sealed it on a recent visit to their area, but it still whistles a little bit - probably to get worse as time goes on.

Reply to
glenf

Thanks. That explains it.

Jarhead wrote: