won't start

chevy lumina '92 3.1 I replaced the timing chain & gears, chain was broke. tryed to start but it try's to hit but will not start, I smell gas when I try it.something else, when I put #1 piston TOP the mark on gear on crank is not stright up but off to the right side alittle due to keyway on shaft. when I put new chain & gears on people told to go ahead and align the marks on the gears. now the car will not start.

Reply to
shadetree56

When it's on top dead center on #1 piston, both intake and exhaust valves closed, the marks on the gears have to line up or it will not be "in time". It can

180 degrees off if it's on TDC but both the valves are not closed.

Reply to
Bob D.

It's impossible to time it 180 degrees out. For each engine (crankshaft) rotation (meaning the #1 piston is at TDC) the camshaft will rotate 180 degrees. So at each engine (crankshaft) rotation the camshaft will be behind by 180 degrees until the second crank rotation.

How ever it could be off several teeth, or one for that matter.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo