'01 Civic EX Gears.....

I have an '01 Civic EX coupe 5-speed that may need a clutch replacement soon. 90% of my driving is Interstae commute. At 70 mph in

5th gear, my RPM's are at 3400. I was thinking that if I could have taller gears in 4th and 5th, reducing that RPM point to around 2800-3000, I might be able to get even better fuel economy.

Has anyone out there done such a modification to their car, or know if optional gear rations are available ?

Reply to
Chief_Billy

Chief snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:1190040215.403463.111310@

19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

I wish Mista B0ne was still posting here. He knew this sort of stuff.

My Integra suffers from the same problem. What I wouldn't give for a taller

5th...

A taller 5th would also help highway-mile piston ring life, which is distressingly short on Honda's lower-geared models.

Reply to
Tegger

"distressingly short"??? and when was the last time you owned a buick?

Reply to
jim beam

hmm, I have a 01 Civic LX, and at 70 mph I'm barely over 3000 rpm. Guess the EX is geared quite differently.

Reply to
Bucky

A larger diameter tire would also work to lower rpm's if you have the clearance but would also affect your speedo reading. If your OEM tires are worn that would also increase your rpm's a bit for a given speed. Remember you need more power at higher speeds to off set drag which increases dramatically at higher speeds. A higer gear ratio would result in lower engine speed and possibly worse gas milage if your out of the correct torque and horsepower range. And Honda's like to spin. Honda engines powered all of the Indy racers this year and none had an engine failure.

-- Message posted using

information at

duckbill