05' Accord and 17" Rims

I was thinking about getting some 17's. Does the computer have to be reset or do any adjustments need to be made?

Reply to
Guest

It's not the rim size but the overall diameter of the tire. If the tires you put on the new rim match what was there, no adjustment needed.

Reply to
Seth

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you that the car came with 15" tires. So I am sssuming adjustments must be made. How do I go about doing this?

Reply to
Guest

they look cool, but unless you drive on glass, the lower profile tires necessary to keep wheel diameter make them more easily dented on pot holes. i'd consider keeping stock and spending the money on decent rubber instead.

Reply to
jim beam

You don't drive on the rim. The rim size means NOTHING. As Seth pointed out in an earlier post, it is the overal diameter of the tire that matters.

bob z. p.s. check this site so you can see for yourself how tire O.D. is what matters:

bob zee

You don't have 15" tires. You have tires that sit on a 15" rim and have an outside diameter larger than 15". It's that outside diameter that counts. You could put on a 9"rim and if the tire has the same outside diameter nothing will have to be changed or adjusted.

Reply to
Seth

Yeah, but watch those turns.....

Reply to
L Alpert

Lol.

Reply to
Guest

Well, you know I meant rims. I was thinking about wider tires also. Would that be much of a problem? See, I see most newer cars or a higher price seem to come with 17" wheels and I would like to get into that territory. I would like to improve the wheels and tires in many ways. I am not going all out as far as expsenisve rims, I am just keeping it in the $400-$500 range. The tires will be what they will be.

Reply to
Guest

Go here:

Or here:

This one will give you a range of tires you can put on your car and maintain the right speedo reading:

This will give you tire sizes and sidewall heights:

And read this:

I put a wider set of tires on a car than the car would accept. But, I remembered this making turns, and the tires would only hit the frame at full lock. In that car, full lock was about a 90 degree turn! So I wasn't too worried about it...

But, there are other things, too. Tires of one size fit on rims of a certain width. I wanted to put 195/45-14s on a Corolla, but I need a 1" wider rim (I had the rims on a Celica that would work, but gave the car away...). Otherwise, the tire may blow off the rim in a hard turn.

Also, check the clearance of the flanges that hold the springs up. A tire with too much of a diamter may not clear, or rub when going over bumps.

Let's say your original tire size is 205/60-15. A wider, lower profile tire will give you better handling. In this case, keeping the original rims, then you could probably go 225/50-15. You'll get decent handling, good ride and save about $1000...

That is, if $$$ is an object!

Reply to
Hachiroku

do any adjustments need to be made?

i wanna know how a 5 foot accord can handle 17 inch wheels.

hee-hee, i am such a dick.

:~)>

bob z.

Reply to