'05 Accord Battery

I hate to break it to you, but when I purchased my 2007 Accord in February, they had to replace the battery BEFORE I took delivery of the car! Batteries go bad and some will last longer whereas others will die a horrible death way sooner than the warranty.

Reply to
DJ NoMore

Be Careful! Had the same trouble with my 98 Accord, which I bought brand new. I saw that the green wasn't showing, so I ran it up to the Honda dealer. Tech looked at it and said ,Aw shit, another one! I didn't like that sound...he said the positive post is leaking, and if I try to loosen it. the post will break out, and acid will spill out, into the engine area. They emptied the battery, and sure enough, the post twisted off! They replaced it with a Interstate battery. The original battery was a GM Freedom battery. I Googled ,it and found out that they had trouble with them, at tht time.

Reply to
Bumpy

Hey - I'm less than an hour away from D.C..... Fun place to visit though!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Appointment made for Saturday morning. Hope they don't tell me everything is fine and it's still within spec...

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

I taught in Harlem, NYC, for over a year. Now it takes a lot to get me upset.

It's been many years since I was to Wash., D.C., but I really enjoyed the museums there.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I believe you are mistaken. A "Limited Lifetime Warranty", at least for Sears Diehard Gold is . The first 36 months is a totally free replacement, followed by prorated coverage, which is based on the percentage of use that you have gotten from the battery. At least that was the warranty when I worked there several years ago. BTW Sears Diehard Gold and Interstate are both manufactured by Johnson Controls to specifications set by the retailer.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

In that case it's all your fault. ;)

Reply to
Tony Harding

I'll bet! I go up to NYC sometimes to visit relatives, but not in Harlem. Never been there but always pictured it as a rough place. Then again I thought the same of the Bronx until I was at a restaurant in a really nice section of the Bronx. Forgot what it was called..

They are nice. I've always like the Air and Space Museum and the Natural History Museum. Took my bike down there and rode with friends along the Potomac, Georgetown and into D.C.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Oh, thanks (said with a sarcastic tone)... lol

Reply to
Dave L

I didn't know Interstate was also manufactured by Johnson Controls. I remember Die Hard was, and they switched to Exide. Quality went down and they went back to Johnson Controls...

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Harlem is an up and coming community. It is being gentrified. Harlem and parts of the Bronx are the closest communities in NYC to downtown Manhattan that can be redeveloped into better housing. There are some really nice areas of the Bronx. Harlem is turning into a nice shopping district on 125th St., the main east-west road, where the Famous Appollo theater is. A bunch of stores have moved in, including an H&M store (I think a chain of clothing stores) & a Magic Johnson Theater. A Trader Joes is coming, too (there's one in Union Square and one in Brooklyn too). And there are some good schools there (some NYC dept. of ed schools and some are charter schools) and some bad schools. In addition, Columbia University is there and City College (the public college with the most Nobles) is there as well. Sadly, the poor kids there are treated as throw-away kids by the city when it comes to education (the teachers' union doesn't do much to help either).

In my college years, I went there every year or so. Maybe I will try the bike thing sometime.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think this topic deserves the "OT" prefix in front of it, wouldn't you ? whew

Reply to
Mike W

Yup, you're much more familiar with New York than I! I do enjoy it when I ride up there to visit. I'm normally on Staten Island, Brooklyn or Manhattan. Sometimes in Queens and the Bronx if I'm up there with friends visiting. I wouldn't even begin to start naming stores and their locations there! I think the area I was thinking of is called City Island, in the Bronx.

If you don't live far, it's worth the day trip. More fun if you go with others.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Well yeah, I totally agree. However it was not me. I wouldn't even have seen what was typed had you not replied to it. Must have been filtered out. Check the header - I'm sure it won't match mine. I heard someone is out doing some spoofing..

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

///snipped///

I believe you are spot on. The last change back to all Johnson Controls products took place after I left Sears. While I was working there, Johnson Controls made all of the DieHard Gold batteries but the DieHard Silver and the bottom line (I dont recall what they were named) were built by Exide. Some of the Exide batteries were good, some were so-so, and some were less than satisfactory, if you know what I mean.

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Yup. If you get a Sears battery, make sure it's Die Hard Gold!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

There was quite a difference in the warrantees also. An amusing aside... A gentleman came into the store one day with a Sears battery that was in a

1957 Ford that he purchased in 1959 and drove it to Alaska. The car had given up the ghost at some point in time after his arrival in Alaska and the battery had been residing in a Case frontloader/backhoe combination since that time to present (this was in 1997). The battery at long last had failed. It was dead and would not take a charge. He (jokingly) asked if there was still any warranty left on the battery. I checked, knowing full well what the answer would be, but gave him a 10% discount just on general principles.... So they did build some good ones even back then....

DaveD

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Just got back from the dealer a short while ago. They said the battery is actually fine. It's rated at 410 CCA (cold cranking amps) anb is currently reading 377 CCA. with 12.62V. They gave a printout graph showing where the battery is in relation to needing replacement. Let's say the graph is splint into thirds, so it is reading about 1/3 down. Once it gets to 2/3 down, then it needs replacing.

While there, I was looking at the Civics and the new Accords. I actually liked the size of the Civic more and the Accords are just getting too big! Even wish my '05 was closer to the size of previous generation Accords..

So everything still works fine now, and I'll keep chugging along!

Thanks to everyone who responded,

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Holy cow! A 38 year old car battery??? It's got to be a record. Would have been a great advertising tool for Sears batteries..

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Well, when it comes times to replace the Accord, and cars keep getting bigger, you'll be wanting the car the size of the Fit, which will by then be the size of the Civic. Of course, there will be a new small car to replace the Fit.

However, with the high prices of gas and the CAFE requirements, I am wondering whether or not the size creap will stop, and cars will remain the same size from generation to generation.

We'll see (I hope I live long enough, but I don't have any plans of dying soon).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff