1991 Honda Accord Squeal Engine Noise

I have a 1991 Honda Accord SE that recently started a high pitch squeal coming from the engine bay. When sitting at idle, nothing. When starting to drive, a squeal that starts for awhile and then dissapates to start all over again. I have searched and searched and read that it could be anything from ABS motor, timing belt, Distributor, and alternator bearning. It is coming from the passenger side of the bay and tried running next to car to isolate but cannot. Distributor housing, rotor, ignitor, and cap all replaces last year so don't think that is it?

Can ANYBODY Help me?????

Reply to
viking

---------------------------------

Remove the distributor cap and look for Red Rust. Check google (groups) if you find red rust.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

If you're running next to the car I would assume the brake pad wear sensor. If it's from the engine bay maybe spray some WD-40 on the distributor bearing.

Reply to
Burt S.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that they are sealed bearings. In order to lube it, one would need to remove it and pop the seal out, clean it up, put some grease in it, put the seal back, and then reinstall it back into the distributor housing. It's not a terribly complex job, but certainly more involved than just spraying some wd-40 into the distributor (which by the way probably isn't such a great idea since it's particularly flammable).

Eric

Reply to
Eric

well, it's not that easy either. the bearing is non-standard [and not cheap] and the housing sensors /should/ be recalibrated on reassembly. unless you really know what you're doing, replacement of the whole housing assembly is a much safer thing to do. and if you price your labor on trying to replace the bearing, there's probably not much in it on cost either.

Reply to
jim beam

sounds like an accessory belt. bearings don't usually get quieter as revs go up.

when you say "passenger side" is that left or right? depends on the country you're in!

Reply to
jim beam

"viking" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Does the noise start again when you press the brakes to slow down again? Then inspect the brakes.

Also have all the accessory drive belts checked. Does the noise appear on the first startup in the morning?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks all for the responses - but I know it is not the breaks per se or the accessory belts. The "squeal" is like a fan hitting the shroud or the radiator and grinding on metal and goes for about 10 sec and stops and then goes again a few seconds later and stops. It never does it at a standstill or idle but always does it when driving (whether you are accelerating or not). Breaking has no impact on the change in noise other than when you get the forward momentum of the car stopped. Then no more awefull grinding noise. I read a post listed 2 years ago that indicated the ABS fuse was pulled and a noise exactly like the one I have stopped. So in that case - maybe the anti-lock breaking system has malfunctioned. I'm thinking more along the problem with timing belt or possibly a malfunctioned distributor. However, I have questions about distributor making such a noise- since all is new less than a year ago. And why wouldn't the distributor make the same noise at standstill if reving the motor up?? Very baffled!!!

Reply to
viking

Thanks Curly. I see just barely some red dust. Hardly noticeable. And if it is the distributor, wouldn't that grinding noise increase as I rev up the motor??

Reply to
viking

Exactly what I'd say. I'd ripped the distributor apart on a 92 Civic only to clean, grease and seal it with clear RTV silicone. These bearings are sealed and not standard otherwise I'd swap the bearing. Overall, I'm expecting the car to last over 200k.

From a flashlight I can clearly see the distributor bearing on a 92 Accord after removing the rotor. Get a nice, long nozzle and get a clean shot at the bearing (sealed or not) while agitating the shaft. The WD-40 molecule is penetrating enough to stop that squeak.

Not as flammable as aerosol starter fluid.

Reply to
Burt S.

Just a thought - my daughter's '93 made an intermittent squalling noise when the coolant was low. None of the other symptoms, just a squall like a seized bearing. Weird.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee