1996 Honda Accord - Water Leak Under Dash

Can someone tell me what would cause water to leak from under the dash on the passenger side when the air conditioner is being used?

Reply to
frederick

This is quite simple really. There is a box under the glove box and it has a hose that runs out under the car (ever notice the dripping when the A/C is running?)

This drain has become clogged. I have had luck with simply blowing air back into the hose, dislodging the clog, but be warned, you will get a mouthful of nasty if you blow into it. Better to use a can of compressed air or an air hose. Pinch the drain hose tightly around the nozzle, and blow some air back in. This should clear it up. If it's really bad, the box will need to be removed and cleaned.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

I have water pouring into the driver's side floorboard on the same model. It is cold and seems to be condensation from the AC. How can this happen? It only occurs during sharp right turns. When I turn to the left I sometimes hear a sizzling noise. I suspect a plugged drain hole. How do I get access and where do I look?

G-Man wrote:

Reply to
Arnablaze

It is a plugged drain. I can't get specific without seeing the car, but look under the glove box. There should be a rubber hose coming out of the black box and going through the firewall somewhere. I wouldn't pull the hose off the box, as you will get a LOT of water in the car.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

I'd add to G-man's excellent posts that the accumulation of condensation probably has led to mildew in the evaporator pan. If you aren't smelling it now you soon may! Flushing the pan out with isopropyl alcohol should reduce that, but not much will eliminate it. The flush is done the obvious way, using a baster or similar to pump a cup or so of alcohol backward up the drain hose (usually from under the car, just because access is "easier" in a relative way) and letting it drain out.

While on the subject, have you checked to see if you have a cabin air filter? It should be intercepting the dirt and debris that is causing this and may be corroding the evaporator.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
frederick

Take a look at

for the exploded view of your heater. Unplug the connector, remove three screws and the fan / motor falls on the floor. Use a mirror and GOOD flashlight to peer inside. Clean out scum and spray with good algaecide.

I'm surprised nobody has yet gotten Legionnaire's Disease from the AC unit of a car . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'