1996 Honda Civic Electric Window Problem

I have a 1996 Honda Civic and it has run perfectly for a good wee while, but for some reason the drivers window won't budge, when the button is pushed i dont even get a faint sound or anything else comin from in the door, i have checked all the cables and there all intact.

It was a gradual failure as it slowly started stopping halfway down etc... now it wont move... Has anyone else had this problem?

I have check all the cabling and fuses etc... but this never seemed to fix the problem, i dont wanna end up spending a fortune trying to get the window fixed so hopefully a homefix can be found....

Reply to
AnobizII

===============================

Be glad you don't own a VW . . You should see all the window problems over at their NG.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

The only ones I've dealt with (93 Accord and 94 Integra) were bad gears in the regulator - the part that includes the motor and all the mechanics to raise or lower the window. That is best checked by taking the door panel off and either checking voltage at the connector with the regulator plugged in or by jumping 12 volts to the regulator.

The dealer prices are impressive (in the $200 US range) but the Accord regulator came from a wrecking yard for $75 and the Integra regulator was bought on-line for more like $50. RockAuto

has regulators for the '96 Civic (I guessed 4 door LX) for about $30 US Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yea, sounds like the gear/regulator, etc bound up. But like they say, I'd run all the usual tests to the motor, etc.. I'm having trouble with the drivers side window on my accord. But it's the controller acting up. I think triggered mainly from the cold weather for some reason. I took the controller off, and checked it for cracked solder joints, etc, and put it back on, and it worked fine. ButI wanted to make sure about the joints, so I resoldered the relay connections just to be on the safe side. It was fine for a couple of days, and then it started acting up again last night. And yes, it got colder the last day or so..So evidentally, one of the relays is not making a good connection. Maybe cuz of the cold, and the contacts being quite used, it's not making a good connection. So I'm going to see if I have any relays laying around to repair the controller. If I can't find a suitable relay, I may have to break down and get a new controller at a junk yard or whatever. I hear honda wants

100 bucks plus for those.. In my case, the window rolls down, but is intermittant about rolling back up. But in my case, you always hear the relay click. So I know it's the relay contacts themselves that are flaky. Actually, if I could get the cover off the relay and get access to the contacts, I could probably clean them up enough to work. Just taking it off, and messing with it got it working again for a while. So I know when it's not making connection, it's just by a hair.. Could be a speck of dirt or dust getting in the way. Could be slightly burnt too though.. That can be fixed by a new relay, or burnishing the contacts so they are clean again. MK
Reply to
nm5k