91 Accord brake light indicater goes on

A few times the brake warning light goes on when I start the car. The brakes seem fine, fluid level is good, brake lights are working. The light stays on until I turn the car off and on, and then the light is off.

I read the other brake light question (on the CRV) but the filter looks fine.

Reply to
dgk

is it a honda master cylinder or a cheapo after-market one? if the latter, the fluid level sensors are garbage and often give this trouble. disconnect the sensor wires and monitor the fluid level visually.

Reply to
jim beam

Is it your parking brake switch? I had a bad connection on my '91 Accord which caused this same symptom. Or, it could be the sensor in the master cylinder. Those are known to be a little flaky unless the fluid is really high.

dgk wrote:

Reply to
NWF_Snake

I don't know. It was replaced about 18 months ago but that is apparently not the problem. I suspect that the light is on because a brake light is actually out. I sent an idiot to check the lights when I hit the brake and he said the lights were fine. But I just checked myself and one light is indeed out.

It is, naturally, the light that gets water in it when it rains hard. I'll have to do some work on it this weekend.

Thanks for the help. Sorry for wasting time on this.

Reply to
dgk

dgk wrote in news:39mer21fpfd7rlr1ghfj1craqjtk3k6839@

4ax.com:

Replace the taillight gasket. It's making a poor seal and allowing water in. You've likely got some corrosion in the affected sockets, so a bit of work with some sandpaper would do you good.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks. Plus I probably have to change the bulb.I have the gasket, I've been meaning to change it for a few months. I tried once but couldn't get the plastic off even after removing the four bolts. And it is not the side with the key. I'll have to try again.

Reply to
dgk

dgk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are SIX nuts, not four! Look more carefully!

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns98C2852C5CA08tegger@207.14.116.130:

and use some dielectric grease to prevent more socket corrosion from happening.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns98C2CFE3332B4jyanikkuanet@

64.209.0.86:

Good point. Ordinary white lithium grease works just fine, in case you have that. Even Sil-Glyde silicone grease works.

Reply to
Tegger

No, there were only the four. This is the part on the trunk, not the body of the car. I just kept pulling and it popped off. There was something else holding it though that looked like it should have been pushed to release but it came off anyway.

I got put on the new gasket and replaced the bulb, and the brake warning light went away.

I didn't use any grease on the bulb though; the guy at the parts store said that it really didn't need it. There wasn't much corrosion, I think the bulb just went.

Now I just have to wait for it to rain and I'll find out if the gasket fixed the leak. The old one was pretty dried out so I think that it's a fix.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
dgk