1999 CRV: Keeping clock bright when lites are on?

I drive with my headlights on during the day (the '99 does not come with DTRL), but the clock dims out when the lights go on, because there was an assumption that lights only go on at night.

Is there a configuration somewhere within the CRV that allows for "allways bright" on the clock?

If not, is there a wire that I can cut or short to make it always bright? I'm assuming that at the very least there would be something on the clock itself. Maybe 3 wires?----[ground, low, high] or maybe [ground, Positive, lites-on] ?

Thanks!

PS. Before I thought to ask the question if there was another way, I had asked here how to remove the clock. That damn thing is impossible to remove! Stubborn little sucker----if you have any hints about that too, I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

----------------------------

You could add true DRL to your '99 and solve the problem, and save fuel while you're at it. Using the headlights as DRL turns on about 8 other unneeded bulbs, and the headlights run at full power. Take a look at:

For some reason I think model 45060 is the right one to simulate the Canadian version of Honda DRL on a CR-V.

I can find the other answer in my manual . . . Just takes time. The clock pops out with a butterknife. Put tape on the lower edge of the dash first.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

motsco_ _"

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

I drive with my headlights on during the day (the '99 does not come with DTRL), but the clock dims out when the lights go on, because there was an assumption that lights only go on at night.

Is there a configuration somewhere within the CRV that allows for "allways bright" on the clock?

If not, is there a wire that I can cut or short to make it always bright? I'm assuming that at the very least there would be something on the clock itself. Maybe 3 wires?----[ground, low, high] or maybe [ground, Positive, lites-on] ?

Thanks!

PS. Before I thought to ask the question if there was another way, I had asked here how to remove the clock. That damn thing is impossible to remove! Stubborn little sucker----if you have any hints about that too, I'd appreciate it.

-- Having a dog that is a purebred does not qualify it for breeding. Dogs need to have several generations of clearances for various illnesses before being bred. If you are breeding dogs without taking care as to the genetic quality of the dog (again, being purebred is not enough), you are what is known as a "backyard breeder" and are part of the problem. Most of the congenital problems of present day dogs are traceable directly to backyard breeding. Spay or neuter your pet responsibly, and don't just think that you're somehow the exception and can breed a dog without taking the care described.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Go to Wal Mart and buy a stick on clock.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

You talk about the clock, but you forget that the clock is part of the instrument lighting overall.

On some cars, the dashboard light dimmer switch has a position whereby it turns all the dash lights on full strength, plenty bright for anytime.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

twfsa coughed up:

LOL

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Elmo P. Shagnasty coughed up:

No I didn't. The clock is /not/ part of the instrument lighting. It is under separate control, high and low based only on whether or not the lights are on, and is not affected by the dashboard light dimmer.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Man, Honda is making things CHEAP. I guess that's their philosophy on the Civic-based line.

More and more, it's obvious that the beancounters are in charge at Honda, and that engineers are way down the ladder.

Damn shame.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

-------------------------

Here's a better link to an article about the '99 clock:

'curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

-------------------

Use a narrow putty knife then, they are way thinner than the common butter knife. I can't find the instructions over at hondasuv.com, but I know they are there. Sign in and use the SEARCH function. Look for clock.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Elmo P. Shagnasty coughed up:

I'm not sure that it /should/ be part of the dash dimmer. It has differing requirements. It needs to be on both when the headlights are on and off, and they need to be brightest during the day, and dimmed at night. At least that would be the theory.

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

motsco_ _"

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

motsco_ _"

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

motsco_ _"

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

motsco_ _"

Reply to
Thomas G. Marshall

Here's the 'long' answer:

Four wires run the clock. Yellow = ACC power, White / blue tracer = On all the time, Black is chassis ground, and Red / Black tracer is ILLUMINATION input.

When the ILLUMINATION input is zero, the backlight runs at 100%. Apply any voltage from the dash lights, and it drops to 50% , then down to maybe 5% depending on the position of the brightness control. To solve your problem, install a switch in the Red/Black line to prevent the clock knowing the dash lights have come on. You could mount the switch on one of the the two blank plugs to the left of the steering wheel, or even get a matching used Honda switch from a cruise control or fog lamps.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _