05 Accord Where is Cabin Air Filter?

Subject line says it all.

2005 Accord EX Where is the passenger cabin air filter located and how does one go about accessing it to replace it?

Thanks.

My son's car has developed a mildew smell (like dirty sweat socks) which I'm 99.99% sure is related to mold/mildew accumulating on the A/C evaporator core. His dealer is telling him it's due to his cabin air filter needing replacement and wants approx $100 for the job!! O'Reilly Auto Parts has the filter (WIX p/n 24815) for $16.99 and I was hoping this is something we could do if someone would be kind enough to tell me where it is and how to get to it to replace it. I'm not optimistic this will fix his problem, but for $17 and a little effort it seems worth a try.

Reply to
Bubba

I had a similar odour coming from the vents in my car once. I used a Wynn's Product called Fresh Air. It cleared the problem up for me.

As for replacing the cabin filtres, I had the dealer do it for me, it was only ½ an hour's labour and the filtres only cost $16.00 each (two of them).

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Reply to
Grahame

Reply to
Bubba

What was the labor cost?

Reply to
amanda992004

I pulled my work order and the price was $34.00 Plus tax of course for the labour. I was incorrect on the price of the filtres, they were $18.70 each (that was in July 2003). The car is a 2001 Accord.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

It's still going to be close to $90~100 total. Figure ½-hr labor at $70 an hour, $32 bux for the filters, prolly another $15~20 bux for the horseshit charge for "shop supplies" and then tax.

Myself having once removed & reinstalled the glovebox in a Lexus LS400 to get to the CD player, I can attest that it would have been worth paying someone to do it. This cabin air filter job on the Honda looks all too similar.

Reply to
Bubba

I beleve the owner manual tells you where and how

Reply to
Ray

Thanks, but after seeing the MicronAire site and reading the procedure involved in changing the cabin air filters on the Accord (requiring physical removal of the entire glove box), there is no way on God's green Earth that this was intended to be a "user-serviceable" item.

Reply to
Bubba

I just changed the cabin filter in my 04 Accord. It is behind the glove box There is a plastic arm on the right side of the door that keeps it from opening too far. It has a hook end on the door side that unclips from the door. You then push in on each side of the glove box to get it to completely release. You can see the 2 clips that hold the filter in from there. The 04 Accord has one big filter. Whole job takes 3 min. Scott

Reply to
zonie

That's exactly right. It's a repair procedure, really, not intended for the end user.

Which is a damn shame. Again, Honda beancounters are probably responsible for this. As bad as VW is, at least they go it right on the

98 Jetta: the air filter is right under the hood, where the outside air intake is for the cabin. Easy to change.
Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nah, it is a 15 minute job tops. I did it on my '03 Accord (same design as the '05) and it was no big deal. Just follow the directions.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Oh, BS. I did it and it is easy. Yes, I would agree that Honda should have made user service of this item easier by putting a door inside the back of the glove box (like GM did on our '02 Olds van), but it really is not big deal.

Kind of funny that GM's design is more user friendly though, eh?

John

Reply to
John Horner

Just bought two filters at

for $9.50 each. Takes maybe 5 minutes to replace them in a 2003 Honda Civic.

Reply to
Bluegoose