2001 Accord maintenance question / concern ...

@90K, you need to replace the timing belt, and you better do it because if it breaks you will not only enjoy a tow truck ride but also it may
cause damage to valves and possibly head and pistons. Now, if the dealer quoted $400 for this work, it's very reasonable, otherwise they are crooks. www.anti-lemon.com
Auto Inspector wrote:

The OP said 96,000 *KM*, not miles. He still has another 50,000 KM (or 2 years) before it's time to replace the timing belt.
It's interesting how they play the numbers. Up until 1996 or so t/belt replacement was required @ 60,000 miles. Then, they increased interval to 90,000 (mi!) for the same engine, and it's a perfectly legit thing to do since Honda belts come out like new after 60K, and I've never heard or seen a broken belt unless the engine has ciesed due to lack of lubrication. Dont' try this with Mitsubishi or any European masterpiece! Actually, don't try this with anything other than Honda.
On 3/31/05 11:55 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "Auto Inspector"

I believe the timing belt interval on this car is 105,000 miles for normal usage and 60,000 for severe.

Ya - your probably right! I knew it was in there somewhere. Whatever it was I did it at that time.
Yes, the latest models are 105K but like I said, they come out like new (on Hondas) after 100,000 mi or so.
Leon Kiriliuk wrote:

if
spark
Yup. At least you asked them what you're getting for $400. Most people I know just take it to the dealer blindly and let them do all kinds of unnecessary servicing. The parts at a dealership are marked far above list price (which is far above invoice).