inner tie rod replacement

Hello all, My mechanic said i needed right side (passenger side I'm assuming) inner tie rod for my 97 Maxima. I've replaced outer tie rods on other cars, but have no idea whats involved in doing the inner. Special tools? Can it be done from jackstands, or do i need a lift? Any input would be helpful, Thx, Bob

Reply to
bobkuhl

If it's anything like my '93 it'll be pretty much the same. Sort of threaded ball doo-hickey if I remember correctly. Go look at one at the auto parts place. Measure distances before removing so you can get it fairly close on the reinstallation. Realignment required after install. You may think the alignment fine afterwards until you drive in the rain and then you'll think you're driving on ice.

Reply to
mario andretti

Reply to
bobkuhl

Can't remember it being in 2 parts so I thinks it's all one piece, installation wise. It's a tight space to work in. Lots of wrench reversing. Should be an easy fix for you. If a goober like me can do it....

Reply to
mario andretti

Bob - what you're describing sounds like the OUTER tie-rod end, not the INNER one. the outer one works as you describe, you thread the nut on first, then the outer tie-rod (female) threads onto the inner-tie rod and then the nut is "loosened" until it locks against the outer tie-rod end keeping it from moving. Basically when a shop does a toe alignment, all they are doing is adjusing how far the outer tie-rod end is thread onto the inner.

To replace the inner, you have to remove the steering rack boot and then get a hold of a inner tie-rod end tool. A rental from autozone/etc. will not fit. Lisle (brand) makes a nice tool for the job that fits perfectly and makes it fairly straightforward.

I've done this on my 96 Maxima - feel free to post back if you need additional help.

Nirav

96 Maxima GLE 136k
Reply to
njmodi