2002 CR-V SRS Unit

I was wondering if anyone has replaced an SRS Unit on a 2002 CR-V? Mine went bad and I was thinking of replacing it myself (almost $900 at a repair shop), but was wondering if there are any particular steps that need to be followed. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote in news:69667575df657@uwe:

How do you know it "went bad"?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I took it to a place that does a lot of work on Honda's and they ran the codes on their tester and they said it shows that the SRS Unit is defective.

Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote in news:6966d0d0dd13e@uwe:

And...what was the actual alphanumeric error code they came up with?

You are of course aware that the correct procedure is to clear the code and wait for it to come back?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I did try clearing the code and it comes right back. The repair shop found code 702 internal failure of SRS control unit.

Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote in news:69722e6d00810@uwe:

You must mean P0702, right? Don't ignore the first two figures!

My official Honda list does not show that code. Perhaps you'd better get the code checked by a Honda dealer. P0702 is not a valid Honda code according to my list.

By the way, the numeral "7" denotes a TRANSMISSION problem, not an SRS one! Go to your dealer! $90 to check the code properly beats $900 for an unnecessary repair!

Reply to
TeGGeR®

You may be right. Looking at the receipt from the repair shop, they listed

702 as the code. I'll call them on Monday and see what other information they may have, that they did not give me. In your list, is there a description that states "Internal Failure of S.R.S. Control Unit"? I did try to clear the code, but it come back as soon as I start the CR-V. I appreciate your help with this issue.
Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

The on-line Actron code code look-up says for P0702 at

"Trans Control Sys Electrical" Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Thanks MIke. I will take it to a dealer and see what they come up with. Have you seen transmissions cause the SRS light to come on and stay on?

Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote in news:69736a3bc5102@uwe:

No.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Not really my area of expertise, I'm afraid.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You can safely change the SRS control unit yourself; but OPDS will need to be initialized. That you will not be able to do yourself. I suspect your car has SRS DTC 7-2 Here's the DTC list for SRS Unit failures.

DTC 5-1, 5-2, 5-4, 5-8, 6-3, 6-4, 6-7, 6-8, 7-1, 7-2, 7-3, 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4,

8-5, 8-6

NOTE: Before troubleshooting any of these DTCs, check the battery/system voltage.

If the voltage is low, repair the charging system before troubleshooting the SRS. If the battery/system voltage is now OK, ask the customer if the battery ever went dead.

Make sure your car does not need a new battery or other charging system repairs. Call Honda Customer Relations and explain your problem, you might be pleasantly surprised.

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote:

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

I did replace the battery, but that was about 7 months ago. The SRS light just came on about a month ago. I will check the charging system and see how it is. I have already typed up a letter to Honda's Customer Service Dept.

For those looking for a list of codes, here are a few good links:

?id=682412

jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

Mike,

I did find this on another website: INFORMATION ON DIAGNOSING SRS DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE 6-7 AND / OR 7-2 INTERNAL FAILURE OF SRS UNIT. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 637638 ) Maybe the repair shop uses their own codes or possibly their diag tool spits out codes that are not up to industry standards. I'm still going to call them on Manday and see what they have to say. If I'm not satisfied, then I will go to the dealer and have them check it out.

Joe

Reply to
jdc2wojo via CarKB.com

"jdc2wojo via CarKB.com" wrote in news:6985852f5ea69@uwe:

Call your dealer ANYWAY and ask if there are any TSBs or recalls having to do with your VIN and the SRS unit. That will be a free service.

Your aftermarket supplier won't necessaarily know about these things.

Reply to
TeGGeR®