Clutch Noice

Hi,

I have brand new 2006 Honda Accord (Euro in Australia) with 3500 Km. Perfect car but...

The clutch rattles most of the time and is at its worst at around

3000rpm when under engine braking i.e. down a hill. Noise dissapears completley when I push in the clutch. Sounds like a metalic rattle, with normal driving it's annoying when engine braking it's clearly audible over theradio.

Anyone heard of noisy clutches? Dealer seems to think it's the torsion springs within the clutch plate but won't comit (nor will Honda) to fix it. So I'm stuck with a brand new car, everyone agreeing there is a noise but no-one will fix it. They say wait until 10,000K sevice and see if it gets worse.

Any ideas? Could it be something else?

Regards

Glenn

Reply to
news

Yes, probably torsion springs. Its unusual for a new car but not impossible. If the noise stops when you lightly press the clutch enough to engage the release bearing, then its the release bearing making the noise.

Do you have a document from Honda stating they won't fix it, or is the dealer just telling you that? If you don't, ask for written confirmation. If its not forthcoming from the dealer, get on to Honda Australia yourself.

The noise is not a component failure, but is a manufacturing defect, and obviously annoying. It's a somewhat grey area of responsibility, so the "wait until 100K service" is not unreasonable.

"Getting worse" will mean louder noise or/and clutch shudder. Fixing the clutch is 3-4 hours labour plus parts.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Agreed, if you can't get anywhere with a new car at the dealer which is still under warranty, then go over their heads directly to Honda Customer Relations.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

G'day -

the dealer has been good in diagnosing the fault but hard to get them to make any moves on Honda itself. I've been on the phone to Honda Customer Relations and I get a sympathetic response but they are not really concerned.

So I'll go to them in writing now - I might make a recording of the noise to demonstrate it at it's best.

Another problem is the non-commital attitude i.e. I offer to replace the clutch (it really bugs me) but at $2000 and no guarantee it's an expensive gamble... I don't think they get a lot of manual cars to play with these days?

Oh well... at worst I'll stick with for anoth 11 months and go back to the Subaru... My 5 year old falcon makes less noise!!

Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
news

snipped-for-privacy@clanlogan.info wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

TWO GRAND for a clutch change? Gawd I'm glad I live in Canada.

Y'see, with the United States right next door, our government has to be on its toes and not f*ok us too badly, otherwise we'd head south.

*Your* crooks have a monopoly.

Say, you're a 'Strine, right? I need some help on another matter. If you're willing to help, please respond to this and I'll give you some details,

Reply to
TeGGeR®

$2000 to replace a clutch? As an expat Aussie, my response to that would the F***ING Bullshit! Let's say 4 hours labour to replace the clutch = $200 or so. If the clutch plate is obviously faulty (ie loose or broken torsion springs, or failed release bearing), no charge, but lets say $600 for the complete kit at Honda prices. That makes about $800 total.

I'd ask the dealer to show you the parts cost of a complete clutch kit (friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing) along with the Honda listing that shows the standard labour time and cost. Better yet, have him write you up a quotation detailing everything. For a 2006 car, there simply WON'T be any "unexpected extras" like is often found on older cars.

I'd be pretty surprised, nay, amazed, if the written quote came up to anywhere near $2000. If it does, check with your local auto club (NRMA, RAC or what ever) on the accuracy of this quote. I'd say that the dealer "quoted" you $2000 to shut you up and get rid of you. Either way, you may need to change dealers, and pass the $2000 quote on to Honda Australia. Incidently, the NRMA are often helpful to apply pressure on to dealers and manufacturers. Bad publicity in the NRMA Magasine is never a good thing.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS