2003 Accord Whirring Noise in Engine?

good.

Reply to
jim beam

Modern Honda 4 cylinder engines use a timing chain, not a replaceable timing belt. The V-6s still use a belt.

Reply to
John Horner

Change they did. Honda's current 4 cylinder engines use a timing chain. Many customers are really unhappy about having to pay for costly timing belt replacements and thus many companies are going back to timing chains.

Reply to
John Horner

My guess would be that it is either the accessory drive belt or one of the things it runs such as the alternator or power steering pump.

Reply to
John Horner

I doubt it is the timing belt, but it might be the accessory drive belt.

Reply to
John Horner

you'd better hope you're right! when timing belts fray, they /do/ make a whining noise. ignoring that costs real dollars.

Reply to
jim beam

it's bizarre that in a time of improving emissions control, manufacturers would do that. as chains stretch, valve timing drifts and so consequently, does emissions. belts don't stretch ans remain dead-on accurate through their whole service life.

and car owners getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and repair shops for over-expensive belt changes if not going to disappear because of a chain - there will always be something else to hose the customer with.

Reply to
jim beam