audio security code

I have a 2003 CR-V. I replaced the battery a couple of days ago, and as I expected, the radio is asking for the security code. I bought the vehicle used from the local Honda dealer a couple of years ago. There is a five digit number written on the back of the manual that I have always thought must be the audio security code. But when I started to enter it, I noticed that a couple of the digits are higher than 6. There are only 6 preset buttons. Does this mean that the numbers on the manual aren't the security code, or does it mean that I'm just not smart enough to enter a number greater than 6? Any help will be appreciated. I have the serial number for the radio, I think.

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

"Bubba" wrote in news:sLRGi.67146$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

try looking under the ashtray for the code.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The preset buttons represent the position of each digit in the radio code. While CODE is displayed enter the radio code by pressing preset button #1 the number of times represented by the first digit in the code, e.g. if the code is 32561

press preset button 1: 3 times 2: 2 times 3: 5 times 4: 6 times 5: 1 time

Reply to
gww

"Bubba" wrote in news:sLRGi.67146$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

This is a FAQ because it's so common.

Tegger

no. and tegger's faq needs revision. the code only uses digits from 1 through 6. if the code is 12345, you enter those preset numbers, punching each one once only. if your "code" has digits 7 through 0, it's not the radio code.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:vaednQ0y1ZMtkXHbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Even Honda's tech info is unclear on the exact way you enter the digits.

So if the code was 43512, you would punch the presets IN THAT ORDER? In other words, 4th button first, then the 3rd button, then the 5th one, and so on?

Reply to
Tegger

yup - that simple!

Reply to
jim beam

Thanks for the responses. I did try the method suggested by gww, pressing each button multiple times depending on the assumed code. It didn't work for my model. While the discussion was in progress, I decided to search the vehicle, again, for the elusive white sticker. Found it on a cup holder where I normally have my iPod holder. The number that worked contained no digits higher than 6. So I entered the number straight out like Jim Beam suggested and that worked.

By the way, I was able to get the serial number by holding down 1 and 6 simultaneously. That is a lot better than pulling the radio. Also, the serial number was on the white sticker along with the code. So the whole exercise was kind of humorous in hindsight. I've been trying to get somebody to tell me the code since Thursday night, and it was right under my nose.

Thanks

Reply to
Bubba

"Bubba" wrote in news:qVVGi.46536$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

Damn. I will update the site tonight. Thanks to jim and Bubba.

That part IS in the FAQ.

Tegger

That's how it works on my 02 Odyssey.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99AC987E4E2C3tegger@

207.14.116.130:

Long delay. Busy weekend. Site has just been updated. Hit Refersh/Reload to see the changes.

Is this better?

Tegger

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp1.usenetserver.com:

I've changed it. Thanks to all.

Reply to
Tegger

I just noticed today that the "auto" function on the driver side window doesn't work since the battery was disconnected. How do I reprogram that to work again?

Reply to
Bubba

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99AEC42319380tegger@207.14.116.130:

my 94 GS-R had the radio code sticker on the bottom of the ashtray.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns99AF62773EE13jyanikkuanet@

64.209.0.84:

Just added a short paragraph to that effect. (Hit Reload/Refresh to see the changes.)

This subject can get really complicated, you know?

Reply to
Tegger