2004 Honda Civic Check Engine Light

Hello. I have a question. I have an 04 Civic Lx and the Check Engine Light came on. The car was driving perfect before it came on. It seems like when the light is on, the car has issues switching gears. I am pretty sure that the gas cap is on tightly. The light shut off for about 10 minutes, and was driving fine, until the light went right back on. Could there be something seriously wrong with the car? Or could that light also indicate that the car needs maintanence? I am a little over due for a tune-up. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Elizabeth

Reply to
the_calikid83

Also....I think my transmission needs to be serviced..would that cause the light to come on?

Reply to
the_calikid83

Tell us the mileage. Tell us when the tranny was last serviced, and by whom. Tell us why you're suspicious. Tell us what you found when you did all the under-hood checks (oil, rad, tranny, belts).

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

The only way to determine what is causing the problem is to read the codes from the computer. It could and probably is serious and could be causing further damage as you drive it. Take it to a good service garage or the dealer and find out what is turning on the light. There are hundreds of codes.

Reply to
Woody

My 2004 turned two weeks ago, just before 30K service. Some switch went bad whch they replaced under warranty. I was initially told it would be $100 just diagnosis before I told them the mileage. You are right. I read there are 85 engine light codes for a 2004.

Reply to
rick++