2006 Accord climate control failed

Hi,

Two days ago I was driving on the freeway and I heard a hissing noise. I turned down the radio and after a few seconds the noise was gone. The climate control (AC - air conditioner) was on. It continued to run but it didn't cool the air anymore.

Has anyone heard of such an issue?

> Did the Freon gas escape from a leak? If so, what could cause that? >> Or did the compressor stop working? What could cause that?

I am taking it to the dealer but I don't want them to rip me off.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

Joe.

Reply to
home_user

It's a 2006. Unless you have driven an obscene amount of miles or they can show physical damage (big dent where a rock hit something under the hood), it's going to be a warranty repair. How can they rip you off?

Reply to
Seth

It could be that road debris flipped up and punctured the condensor, which is not terribly unusual. In that case the warranty won't cover it but the OP can evaluate whether to file a claim under the comprehensive insurance coverage.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If it hit the condenser I would bitch because it is well known that the Accord condenser is too low to be unprotected as designed.

Reply to
Art

Thanks for all the feedback!!

The car has 6000 miles. If something hit the car hard enough to damage the condenser, then I should have heard it, right? I haven't heard anything.

How can they put the condenser in a location that is so susceptible to damage? I think I will complain to Honda if that is the case. If I claim it on my comprehensive insurance, I will have to pay $500 deductible. I don't know how much replacing a condenser will cost.

I'm going to ask the dealership to keep the parts, because if it is damaged, I want to see where it damaged. Call me paranoid, but I just don't want them to claim it is damaged when it's not. It's happened to me before.

Thanks again, Joe.

Reply to
home_user

Update: the dealer has said that the AC condenser has "road damage" and that has caused the freon to leak.

The dealer charged me $570 for this "road damage" to the AC Condenser. I believe it is a design defect or part defect. How come other cars don't have this problem. Their condensers must be in a location that is NOT susceptible to damage like Honda's cars OR their AC codensers must be made from a better (stronger material).

I search the web for Honda AC condenser road damage and found that the Honda Odyssey has the same issue. On this web site you can see posts from many people who had the exact same problem and they are forced to pay up to a $1000 to fix the condenser.

Given the number of cases reported by everyone on this site - which is probably the tip of the iceberg - this should be reported to the NHTSA:
AND the Bureau of Automotive Report (BAR) of your state. The following web site is the BAR for California: ;. If Honda does not pay for this thing, I will report it. If enough people complain maybe Honda will replace the AC condensers. I will complain to both the BAR and the NHTSA.

Joe.

Reply to
home_user

The AC condeser failure may be attributed to road debris or "road damage".

Reply to
home_user