2007 Honda CRV won't hold a charge

Spoke to the service manager today re: my wife's '07 Odyssey that I posted about elsewhere in this thread...

He said he has seen a bad batch of relays. They stick in the closed position leaving power on to various systems in the car and that might be the cause that is draining the battery so fast.

He is picking the car up from my wife's office on Friday to check/replace the relays in question as well as put a new battery in A) just in case it is a faulty battery and B) it could eventually die a premature death from having been run flat a few times already.

Reply to
Seth

"Seth" wrote in news:96m3j.997$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.lga:

what is it with Honda and bad relays? (the infamous "main relay"!!)

I wonder what manufacturer made that batch in your 07?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi, Age aside, a battery can have a internal electrode short, one cell dead, broken connection inside, etc. Most weakness amongst auto mechanics is a lack of good knowledge in electronics/electricity. Old grease monkeys just don't cut it nowadays. Still you can't blame alternator outright. As a retired EE, I always managed to solve electrical problems on my fleet of family cars/truck. So far I never ran into a mechanic who impressed me as far as electrical problem is concerned.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Why dealership? Anyone can do this test with a small 12V bulb if neter is nat handy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I guess you haven't read his original post, where he said the dealer had already replaced the battery....

Do you still think it's the battery?

As I've been saying all along, it's the alternator. Thanks for playing.

Reply to
Dan C

Hi, You are not reading my post well either. I covered most of everything. Usually battery is the first thing they replace without good reason. When I investigated swapped out batteries, almost 80% was in good shape. My brother(chemistry major) once worked in Exide battery plant. We talked a lot about batteries. I live in very cold climate. Keeping a car in good running order is a matter of life and dead in winter time.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I am reading your posts just fine. You are lacking in comprehension.

OK, this may be true. However................................. since they have *already* replaced the battery, and the problem is still there, it's *NOT* the battery causing the problem!!!!!!! Why can't you understand this???

Whatever. Completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Reply to
Dan C

Just an update. It seems they have found a phantom load that is discharging the battery but they have yet to figure out exactly what it is. Since all items are Honda installed and supplied they can't blame it on anything else. The new battery (3 weeks old) is fine and they report the alternator is fine as well.

Reply to
Bruce

Ask them if they checked for stuck relays.

Reply to
Seth