800,000 mile 1984 Honda

When I test drove an Accord on Saturday the salesman who has all the top awards as the best mentioned that he has a customer with the subject car. Original engine and transmission. When I said that the guy would have to drive 40,000 miles a year to get that he said, Yes I guess that's right. I think he has stretched reality but I know that there's a Volvo that has a million miles and several diesel Merecedes. But a Honda? Anyone have any facts? tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Howard

Not so difficult to do if you:

Fix the car when breaks. Maintain the car well and most of the miles are highway.

Reply to
Masterson

I believe the person is probably telling the truth but would not bet any money on it. Only the owner of the Honda knows for sure whether he is or is not telling the truth. All older cars are equipped with odometers that turn back to zero after 99,999.99 is on the odometer. Anyone that has a really old Honda could say that it had turned over any grand total of miles that he wished to lie about.

Reply to
Jason

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

are you sure there's not a decimal point problem? all hondas that i've ever seen read xxx,xxx.x. in other words, you can record a million miles - more than any normal vehicle would ever last.

Reply to
jim beam

If I recall correctly, I had a '79 Accord hatchback some years ago that had xxx,xxxx.x odometer.

Reply to
L Alpert

too true, in 89 my fathre got rid of a fiat strada, that he'd clocked twice (was on about 240,000 miles) and was only 5 years old (he worked

70 miles away, 7 days a week) That was even with the terrible radiators those cars had.
Reply to
K`Tetch

Sorry--I was NOT aware of that fact. I screwed up.

Reply to
Jason

Hello, You are right. I was wrong--sorry. I just thought of one way that the owner of an older Honda could fake us out in terms of mileage. I once saw a television show that showed a retired auto salesmen showing how easy it is to change the odometer numbers on an older car. He hooked up some device that was connected to an electric drill. The device was connected to the odometer cable. He turned on the drill and the camera focused on the odometer. The mileage went from about 80,000 miles down to about

35,000 miles in less than two minutes. You could use the same device and a drill to move the mileage up to 900,000 miles. Was the person telling the truth? Only he knows for sure. He might own such a device.
Reply to
Jason

And a person would artificially increase the mileage for......what? Bragging rights? A person would have to be both dishonest & have some monetary gain to be realized to utilize such a device. Rich

Reply to
Rich
4.6M kil (2.85M) miles.

Kiss it. Nothing beats the old mercedes diesel.

Darrell

Rich, Yes, bragging rights. On a regular basis, I see cars in parking lots that were mainly purchased for bragging rights. Some examples include the Lamborghini--one of the models costs $283,000. One of the Porche cars costs $448,000. I believe that lots of people love the attention they get when they have a special car. Jason

Reply to
Jason

Yup. And probably worth every penny.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

One of the cars our son maintained for a very wealthy client is a

1985 Ferrari 288 GTO. It has less than 1,500 original miles. About six years ago, it was appraised at over $300,000. I have no idea what it's worth now.
Reply to
Larry J.

I dont think so......

A drill will only have a certain RPM. A drill would spin to slow to make it go that many miles in two minutes. I would most likely take days.

You cant spin an odometer too fast, the gears break.

Reply to
Masterson

A little while ago, wasn't there a Toyota Corolla on the Letterman show that was about to turn One Million miles? They brought it on the show, and drove it around the block a few times to show on tv the millionth mile.

Reply to
Tariq

I'll be honest with you. My memory does not work as well as it did when I was younger. It's been several years since I seen it on a television show. I don't remember the exact details. It's very possible that it took longer and they used a drill that was set on a speed that would do no damage. For example, they might have left the drill on for several hours or over night and merely showed the odometer on film when the drill was started and they started filming again the following morning. I just remember that I never trusted odometer readings on used cars after I seen that television show. Does anyone else know anything about a device that allows used car dealers to turn back the odometer readings on older cars? If so, please post.

Reply to
Jason

It is spelled Porsche.

Reply to
Randolph

I recall a Perry Mason show (from the black and white days) in which a car's odometer reading had something to do with whether it could have been at the scene of the murder or some such thing. The "aha" in the show was that the car in question was an older one (like from the '30s) and the odometer would turn backward when the car was in reverse. The killer just put the rear axle on blocks, put the car in reverse and let it idle a while.

I have a big objection to the concept of using a drill to turn back the odometer anyway. All other objections aside, to turn back an odometer 50,000 miles even in ten hours would require simulating 5000 mph with the drill - a dubious concept.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee