90 accord fan runs with car off

condenser fan will start and run in driveway with car cold. changed temp. switch no help. changed relay no help. pulled cooling fan fuse and fan shuts off. pulled radiator fan fuse and fan shuts off. 2 fuses on the wiring diagram do feed the fan timer. suspect fan timer. I cannot find the timer. Can anyone help me?, Chub

Reply to
chub

Usually it is located under the driver's kick panel on Hondas, I think. Maybe someone else here knows for sure.

Could also be that the thermo sensor has shorted. Not sure on your accord, but it is usually on or near the thermostat housing. Disconnect it and see if the fan stops running.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Remco, thanks for the reply. What is the driver's kick panel? I changed out the temp. switch on the thermostat housing with no improvement. I disconnect it while the fan is on and no change, fan keeps running. I think fan timer is the only thing left.

Reply to
chub

I seem to remember (it has been a while but this was an early 90 accord) that it is where your left driver's foot is, up a little ways towards the dash. The kick panel is that piece of plastic that your foot would hit - I found it after I took that thing off. It is a black box, about 3x3x1" with a decent size connector on it.

I have also heard that on other model hondas it is under the passenger seat.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

The two links below suggest the timer is under the dashboard for a 1990 Accord, on the left side. One is an ebay link to a 1990 Accord timer. (I threw in the search terms {timer Accord} at Ebay to find this.) It has a photo, too, that might help. The other is from a Usenet groups thread on this subject. This question comes up a fair amount.

(link to 90 Accord fan timer for sale on ebay)
(link to 92 Accord fan timer Usenet discussion,October, 2004)

From the Usenet thread and the wiring diagram, the part I see with seven wires going to it (excluding a ground) and temperature switches A and B connecting to it is called the "Radiator Fan Control Module." I gather this is the same as the timer or it contains the timer(?).

For other Honda models, as Remco said, there are indications the timer is under the passenger seat, in a small black box. These I see for 1980s or so Hondas. For circa 1995 Hondas, there is still another location indicated.

I was looking at the online Honda parts sites that are popular and can't find this part, so far. E.g.

. Tricky...

"chub" wrote

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote

It's listed and shown in a drawing under "Control Unit," item 3, "timer, radiator fan" at

(hondaautomotiveparts.com, but it should also be atslhonda.com, since the drawings are identical at these two parts sites) It's shown to be under the dashboard, on the left side.

$105. Whew. Go ebay.

Reply to
Elle

There you go. This group is great, isn't it? Now you have a picture to compare to. I remember I had to take the kick panel off to find it. It is up a little ways, towards the dash.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

"Remco" wrote

Yes, it's great.

One of the posters to one of the old threads on this also said it's up a little ways in the dash and kinda tricky to get to, as well.

Reply to
Elle