91 accord timing belt replacement?

I"ve got a 1991 Honda Accord with 85,000 miles on it. It had its timimg belt replaced when it was 7 years old (1998), but it only had 40,000 miles on it at that time. Now, 8 years later (2006), the replaced timing belt only has 45,000 on it. My Question is - should I get the timing belt replaced - due to it being 8 years old (with only 45,000 miles on it). or could I wait until the belt has more miles on it. Currently the car gets regular use, about 12,000-15,000 miles a year.

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
91 accord

The manual says "Every 90,000 miles or 72 months whichever comes first"

91 accord wrote:
Reply to
Grahame

If you only drive localy, and don't mind the engine not starting someday, just keep an eye on the coolant level and watch for the water pump to start leaking. The belts should be fine for another two years or so. If you drive like a kid and are far from home with the car a lot, go ahead and spend 450.00 bucks and get the car ready for six more years of trouble free driving. Oh, and have the main relay removed and resoldered. The heat today (90 degrees) killed mine (92 Accord,235,000 miles). bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

I would replace it, per the owner's manual's interval for time.

If the car idled a lot in, say, city stop and go traffic, then mileage is not a meaningful estimate of revolutions of the engine.

Temperature changes also affect belt wear.

"91 accord" wrote

Reply to
Elle