98 Accord, Maint Rq'd light

'98 Accord

I just brought it back from the dealer and the Maint. Req'd light is on. It wasn't when I took it there for radiator/coolant service. I read somewhere that the light isn't related to any type of service, it's just a reminder light that needs to be reset.

I'm not happy with my dealer at all and don't want to have to be without my car for 24 hrs just to have the light reset.

I saw something recently that said to turn the key to the on position, press the pedal to the floor three times within 7 secs, then turn to the off position and start normally. It said the light should go off in a few secs. I tried it, it seemed to go off for 1 sec and come back on. Tried it a few times, same result. The article said to keep trying if it didn't work on the first try.

Am I doing it right or wasting my time? I just need to reset the Maint Req'd light without having to make a service appt a week from now and be without my car again.

Reply to
Chuck

"Chuck" wrote in news:ee-dnc7Qq-WozorVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

do you have the Operators Manual? it probably has the info you seek.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Come on man, what if the OP purchased the car used, and did not receive an owner's manual?

Then again this might work too: With the key off, hold down the trip meter reset button. turn the key on and continue holding the reset button in until the maintenance light goes off, about 10 seconds.

Reply to
ChrisB

That was Click and Clack talking about how GM cars are built.

On your Honda, hold down the trip odometer reset button while turning the car on. Keep it held down until the light goes off.

Voila.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty
  1. Turn off the engine.
  2. Press and hold the select/reset button in the instrument panel, then turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  3. Hold the button for about ten seconds, until the indicator resets.

From the 98 Accord Sedan's owner's manual at

under "Maintenance Required Indicator":

"Chuck" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Thanks to those who responded positively. If I had the manual, I would have checked there prior to asking here, Mr Yanik. If you have nothing to contribute, zip it.

Worked as advertised, thanks to the helpful people.

Reply to
Chuck

=========================

Here's the FINE manual:

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

"Chuck" wrote in news:HeOdnV89PcYgPorVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

you would be surprised at how many DO have the manual but don't bother to read it before asking questions.I note you didn't ask where you could FIND a copy of the manual,either. (I also posted only "RTM",not "RT-F-M",being civil.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Agreed, there are a lot of folks who do ask questions and have not looked in their manual. Mr Yanik was not out of line at all. He was contributing, so just relax.

In other occasions when someone has asked a simple question, the response has been >> RTFM. He could have said that, but did not.

wp

Reply to
Wade