accord intermittent start

My 99 Accord would not start yesterday. Turned over just fine, just wouldn't start. Usually a very reliable car.

Had it towed to dealer and now it starts just fine. Dealer still has car.

What would cause intermittent start problem?

99 Accord 4 cyl EX 72000 miles
Reply to
stevie

"stevie" wrote in news:Vmvee.33184$ snipped-for-privacy@fe06.lga:

Main relay,runs the fuel pump. Google for 'main relay',there are some sites that show how to re-solder it's bad solder joints and save $50 not buying a new one.It's EASY.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

When our Odyssey (same engine, I think)did that to us, I wasn't sharp enough to look in the owner's manual, but I never would have thought of _flooding_ in the warm season either. Turns out an injector can stick open, or just dribble and flood the engine overnight. The simple way to start it is to hold the pedal to the floor and crank it for up to fifteen seconds. Manual says so. I ran a few tanks of gasohol (also in the manual) thru it, and the problem never happened again.

If, however, you have a bad main relay you can tell because you don't hear the fuel pump while the 'lamp check' (see manual) is happening. With key in the II position, smack the dash and the fuel pump will run, proving that the relay needs to be resoldered. The car will run until you shut it off next. They are also very temperature-sensitive, so they often start showing up in the first warm days of Spring.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _