accord overheating

Hi, I have a 1996 honda accord LX with 93000 miles and I observed over heating problem with the car. The engine over heats when stuck in slow moving traffic but its all fine when i start moving. I mean If I am caught in a traffic jam I see that engine over heats. I went to the mechanic and he says I have to replace thermostat and radiator (due to some leak) the radiator was replaced last year. Can you please provide me some suggestions. Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks, Raj

Reply to
raj

Check for proper fan operation first. A one year old radiator should still be ok. The stat seems to be working. Otherwise it would be hot moving too.. Sounds like the fan is not coming on when it should. MK

Reply to
nm5k

===================================

You have to have a full reservoir to displace the air in your system. Top it up to MAX and do it again next evening after car cools. Fans won't cut in if the coolant is too low. Fill the rad to the top as well and don't use tap water. Honda premix is best.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

raj wrote in news:952852_8f571b7abddb1dc9707538a80c7cca15 @autoboardz.com:

Next time the car begins to overheat, jump out quick and have a look under the hood. Is the passenger-side rad fan running?

With the enigne cold, pull the rad cap off. Is the fluid right up to the top of the filler neck?

Non-operational fans and low coolant level are both causes of overheating.

Report your findings here.

Reply to
Tegger

Hi, seems like u guys were correct.... The fan switch was not working... that was the problem... also mechanic wanted me to change the radiator and thermostat saying the stat was very old and could cos problem anytime and the radiator was leaking.... and he showed me.... but he did mention that the fan was the issue and he wanted me to replace the switch....thanks for the suggestions.... Raj

"raj" wrote: > Hi, > I have a 1996 honda accord LX with 93000 miles and I > observed over heating problem with the car. The engine over > heats when stuck in slow moving traffic but its all fine when > i start moving. I mean If I am caught in a traffic jam I see > that engine over heats. I went to the mechanic and he says I > have to replace thermostat and radiator (due to some leak) the > radiator was replaced last year. Can you please provide me > some suggestions. Any help is highly appreciated. > Thanks, > Raj

Reply to
raj

Raj, not sure if you know, but this newsgroup sure has had a lot of reports of failed radiators in c. 1990s Hondas. Seems like early 1990s Hondas are on their 2nd or 3rd, typically, by this point. 'Cause it's one of the bigger ticket items in your list of repairs below, I would not feel bad about spending the bucks on it.

"raj" wrote

Reply to
Elle

My '93 Accord got its second rad in 2000, and it was about due for its third when I traded it in a couple months ago.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit