Re: i'm losing gears while car is running!

Looks like your transmission just slipped! You need to check your transmission fluid level while the car is running and on a level ground. Have you changed your transmission fluid recently? Is the transmission fluid black or very dark brown color? If yes, then your transmission is a gonner, you need to rebuild your transmission. The old transmission fluid was holding the transmission together, after you replace with new fluid the dirty fluid that was holding it together are lost. Therefore, your transmission slipped. You can rev hight but the car wouldn't move forward, it just keeps revving.

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
yesk13

fluid level while the car is running and on a level ground. Have you changed your transmission fluid recently? Is the transmission fluid black or very dark brown color? If yes, then your transmission is a gonner, you need to rebuild your transmission. The old transmission fluid was holding the transmission together, after you replace with new fluid the dirty fluid that was holding it together are lost. Therefore, your transmission slipped. You can rev hight but the car wouldn't move forward, it just keeps revving.

thanx for confirming what i suspected - it costs $500 for a replacement transmission here - now the wife wants to get rid of the car! i have spent $800 on maintenance for the year so far but she is fed up now...its in the shop every month...i love this car though so i dunno....and the performance is good for such an old car....sometimes i forget its a 1990 model....funny that a recommended transmission oil change killed it..so it was already dead...the old oil was the life support? i'm in south africa by the way...of u guys know of any cheap tranny places down here lemmie know!!!!

Reply to
akes

[...]

akes wrote: i'm in south africa by the way...

I take back everything I said about you. I was JOKING! bob (in n.e. ohio, usa)

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

transmission fluid level while the car is running and on a level ground. Have you changed your transmission fluid recently? Is the transmission fluid black or very dark brown color? If yes, then your transmission is a gonner, you need to rebuild your transmission. The old transmission fluid was holding the transmission together, after you replace with new fluid the dirty fluid that was holding it together are lost. Therefore, your transmission slipped. You can rev hight but the car wouldn't move forward, it just keeps revving.

Spent first 16 yrs of my life in S.Africa -- PE. My father was sent to ZA in

1936 from the States when Firestone opened a plant in Port Elizabeth. We returned to the US in 1957, so my recollection of my life there would a time warp. Now am retired USAF living in Georgia.
Reply to
tww

Reply to
Thom