Aftermarket radio Installation

Hello All, I recently purchased a new Pioneer CD/Radio from Cutchfield.com and installed it in my 2005 Golf.

The installation went as expected and the radio works well... Except for one small nuisance.

In a factory radio, one can turn the radio on even when the car is not running. Also, when the engine is turned off, the radio stays on until the key is removed from the ignition.

In my installation, the radio has two power sources: a constant power source, and a switched power source. The constant power source comes from the factory wiring, while the switched power comes from a wire which has been run from the fuse box to the radio.

The result of this installation is that the car must be running in order to listed to the radio.

The Crutchfield tech support folks did inform me that I can wire the switched lead to the constant power source, to isolate the radio from the ignition system. But, in this case, the radio must be manually turned on/off.

(Finally) My main question is this: Is there a way that I can wire the radio so that it "respects" the factory on/off options: (can be turned on when the car is not running; will turn off when the key is removed from the ignition)?

I figure worst case, I can wire the radio "hot" like in the old days. But I'm missing the factory feel of the car, although the new CD/Radio is much better than the factory Monsoon radio receiver.

Thanks,

-tomas vera /*------------------------------- * Tomas Vera * tomas (at) sbcglobal (dot) net *------------------------------- */

Reply to
Tomas Vera