Civic Wont start

Ok i just bought a 93 civic it been sitting for a lil bit and the owner never had a problem starting it also i didnt ether when i got it . but once i brought the car home and try to start it again i get nothing no sound from the engine. i no its not my battery cause my cd player and lights work still. o yea also the conection to the postivie side of the battery is a lil loose but its still on do i need a better conecteion?

Reply to
vsal

Start with the battery connection. Clean the battery terminal with a solution of two tablespoons of baking soda to one cup of water. Rinse with water. Tighten connection.

For further troubleshooting,

Strong candidates for failure (causing no start) for early

1990s Hondas are: Main Relay, ignition coil, and igniter.

"vsal" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Doesn't it take a lot more power to turn over the engine than to turn on lights or a CD player? I've had cars that did both of those things (well, cassette machine anyway) yet were too dead to start the car.

I like your Main Relay though.That got me last year.

Reply to
dgk

"dgk" wrote

I agree. Just because the car's lights and CD player are working does not mean the battery is in good enough shape to start the car.

Seems like this group gets a couple reports a year of loose/corroded connections to the battery terminal being the cause of a run/start problem, as well. People really ought to get under the hood at least once every six months with the baking soda and water solution and a water spray bottle and clean the terminals.

I am amazed how much corrosion builds up and can't stand to think what it does to my battery and the electrical system in general. The negative terminal is usually the dirtiest part of my engine compartment. I was helping a friend the other day (new battery last summer) and, upon trying to unscrew the terminal holddown bolt, sheared the darn thing right off from all the corrosion and spent an hour getting the remaining bolt out of the terminal clamp.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:CtP3k.80$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.lga:

heh,there's always something that screws up what should be a straightforward job!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Jim Yanik" wrote

Yessir, it was one of those. Then I went to Autozone, Walmart, and Checkers, and none have the requisite IIRC 8 mm (square head) battery terminal bolt. *&^%$ I jury rigged it for the day and on my monthly sojourn to the local junkyard, I got another one. Dumb little thing but I try to get things right.

For some real fun: The local Honda dealer called me yesterday saying they have had a real run on used cars. They asked if I wanted to sell my 91 Civic! Of course they mostly wanted me to trade it in and buy new, but the opening line sounded like a true report of the used Honda market right now. I laughed and said in fact I was looking for a used Civic for a friend right now. Had a good chat, despite my repeatedly telling the sales guy I am not buying a new car anytime soon, and I am particular about my used cars. He said he'll call with the next beater that comes in. :-)

Reply to
Elle

Yeh right.

Reply to
Jim

=====================

Tap the starter with a small hammer. Your brushes are getting short (or the commutator is a bit burnt) and they aren't providing a path to ground for the solenoid's current. That's why you're hearing nothing.

I'll provide a good link later . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

There's one other thing that happened to me: My add-on antitheft system malfunctioned and disabled my Civic, so I couldn't start it. It mistook me for a thief. :-)

Reply to
Steven L.

Wow! I've got a '95 Honda Civic EX, great condition, only *80,000* miles on it (haven't driven it much due to my health problems). I thought I would have to pay a junk dealer to haul it away. Sounds like I could still sell it!

Reply to
Steven L.

"Steven L." wrote E wrote

I'd pay a lot of money for a 95 with only 80k miles on it and in good condition (no head gasket problems; preferably working A/C). Right now, I am happily settling for 120k to

175k miles on the 88-92 Civics and CRXs I am considering.

Lately, per the suggestion of "JT" here, I have found Craig's List to be very good for buying and selling used autos. At least, there is much to choose from, and it seems where I live, there is a handful of people on it who post that they are looking for used Hondas.

Reply to
Elle

"Steven L." wrote in news:F4WdnR8VQ6oEus3VnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

my add-on Black Widow alarm system with starter lockout didn't keep thieves from stealing my 94 Integra GS-R last June 29 at 3:40 AM. It took them less than 60 seconds to break in,start it,and drive off.The alarm went off when they opened the car door,but they drove it off a few seconds later,push-starting it,as I observed from my bedroom window. (newly gated community,too.)

the alarm was still blaring and lights flashing as they drove it down the street. :-(

If you really want to keep your car from being stolen,install a hidden fuel cutoff switch in the power line to the fuel pump.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

:!:

Reply to
motsco_

Well, if the dealer can fix that A/C problem, then it will be working within a few more days. :-)

Reply to
Steven L.