Clicking, but no starting

I recently replaced the clutch and flywheel on my 92 1.5l Civic LX. It was running just fine, but now when I turn the key all i hear is a clicking noise. It sounds like the solenoid is working, but the starter motor is not turning, any thoughts or corrections. Thanks Josh

Reply to
YaleBoundCivic

"YaleBoundCivic" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Probably a worn starter solenoid;IIRC,Civic starters have a replaceable solenoid....without having to replace the entire starter,but if that's not the case,as was with my 94 Integra,then check out this site;

can buy replacement solenoid contacts and plunger and "rebuild" the solenoid yourself at considerable savings.It only cost me $30 USD PPD to do my starter.The hardest part was getting the lower starter bolt out,in order to remove the starter assembly for rework.It was frozen into the aluminum block...the bolt has long threads.Replacing the contacts and plunger was easy.

The problem is that the contacts inside the solenoid get eroded by the starter current and eventually do not make contact anymore. You hear the clicking of the solenoid coil moving the plunger,but the contacts are not completing the circuit for the motor to get power.

I'm not associated with the abovementioned company,just a satisfied customer.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

that's a great link for tegger's honda faq!

Reply to
jim beam

"YaleBoundCivic" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Checked the battery's state-of-charge?

Cleaned the cables and connections?

Do that first, then condemn more expensive stuff.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

jim beam wrote in news:d7udndKbH7PEXDjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Yeah, it is. And I'll have to add it.

I'm a bit disappointed Honda is not buying starters from Mitsuba any more. Now we have the same "contact" failures Toyota owners have had for a decade. :(

Reply to
TeGGeR®

mitsuba? of main relay failure fame? i'm not sure that's a bad decision!

Reply to
jim beam

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns97F2E08C557ACtegger@207.14.116.130:

Well,$30 for a contact/plunger kit is still better than what you'd pay for a Mitsuba starter,even rebuilt. As I said,replacing the contacts was the easiest part of the job. Knowing it only cost me $30(and some skinned knuckles);priceless! ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's an interesting note that it's happening right after replacing the flywheel. If you can jump/short the three wires on the starter/solenoid and it still clicks, not turning over, than it's not the solenoid contacts. Maybe the starter mounting nuts aren't tight?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

I've replaced many Honda starter contacts without replacing the plunger and never had a come back. There's very little wear on the plunger side of the contact. Honda used to, and may still sell a replacement starter contact kit. These included the contact and the plastic bushings. In addition, just so others know, the contact can usually be replaced with the starter still in the car (only one of the contacts need to be replaced as the other does not wear much at all). I've done many and not found a need to remove it. These were mostly earlier cars up through the '91 Civic. I suppose that some later models which could have more crowded engine compartments might be problematic.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I'm a bit confused. Honda has had starter contact problems for years. I replaced the starter contact on my '78 Accord. Early Civics from the same vintage, e.g. '76, also used a starter with a replaceable contact.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.now:

On my plunger,there was enough erosion that for $30,it was worth it to replace the plunger too.The copper ring was bevelled enough that it would make a poor contact(and would cause erosion quicker on the new contacts),and since I was already in there.... You could get by with doing just the contacts,but I'd rather do a complete job.

BOTH of my contacts were eroded ~50%. About HALF the original thickness. YMMV.

Reply to
Jim Yanik