Does main relay have anyting to do with speedo or brake lights?

I have a 1991 Accord with the famous main relay problem. I have a few questions about this.

How do I get the relay out? It is located under dash up underneath the cruise control silver metal box, right??

Does it have an orange and black wire going to it??

Does it have anything to do with the speedo?? When driving the speedo will drop to 0mph and shortly there after the check engine light will come on. When the speedo drops I can feel a slight lag in the car like i let off the gas but the rpms are the same, and when it starts working again I can feel a slight boost.

Does it have anything to do with the brake light sensor on dash?? On hot days when relay acts up, after starting car brake light sensor in dash will come on but there is no brake light out.

Is not realy a big problem right now because I have other vehicles to drive but I would like to fix it so that the car is in 100% running order. My temporary fix when it wont start is to tap on steering colum under dash with a pair of pliers and listen for "the two clicks" then it starts right up. Also I have had the car for so long that I know how fast I am going by lookng at the tach. Depending on the gear and rpms I can tell how fast I am going to within 2 to 3 mph. I hope I have been clear enough s that I can get some good feedback.

Thanks

Reply to
christoph via CarKB.com

Almost certainly it's caused by poor contact somewhere. Can usually be fixed by disconnecting the suspect connectors, give a shot of WD40, then reconnect. If it's bad connection inside a relay you can usually see the corrosion.

christ> I have a 1991 Accord with the famous main relay problem. I have a few

Reply to
ishmale

"christoph via CarKB.com" wrote in news:658977c62fdcd@uwe:

Your problem is almost certainly the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS), and not the Main Relay.

The very first thing you should do is to retrieve the error code stored by the Check Engine light. See here:

page 15.

Reply to
TeGGeR®