Every Gear Acts Like Neutral

It was a Honda purchased from a Honda dealer.

Reply to
PeterOut

Thanks. I checked the transmission fluid. Is was clean and in the normal range.

Thanks, Peter.

Reply to
PeterOut

Yes. We didn't get the warranty which was $1500. We took out a warranty on a Ford Raurus we bought second hand and never had any problems.

Thanks, Peter.

Reply to
PeterOut

That doesn't mean they did all the maintenance nor that the owner reported every issue they ever had with it.

You bought a used car. Shit happens.

Good luck with your class action...

Reply to
Seth

Hate to be the one to inject a bit of reason in all this :) but this sounds quite familiar to what happened when the transmission hydraulic pump went in a friend's '93 Protege. New pump was about $100... replacement was done by a mechanic buddy in his back yard for a case of beer, and it was good to go.

Obviously, there's no way to know for sure what's wrong with your car, but it may be something simple (and relatively inexpensive) like this. Before getting too worked up about things, have a COMPETENT transmission shop take a look at it.

As others have noted, there likely is nobody to blame for this - it's the kind of thing that can "just happen" on a car of that age, especially if the previous owner didn't maintain it well. There's just no way to tell.

Reply to
Matt Ion

however, a common theme in these complaints is 'went to change back to Honda trannie fluid'.

Always run honda trannie fluid in your honda. Or deal with shit like this (more often).

News wrote:

loewent via CarKB.com

Not sure exactly what is the common failure this might refer to.

But, Honda has had problems with their autos for many years, replaced many on six-cylinder cars in and out of warranty. My old Acura tranny never really worked right, and I suspect that was very common, but since the car still moved, most people (like me) just lived with it.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit if there is a much lower statistical failure of the same tranny technology on lower horsepower cars, and it's probably still very rare into the 100k mile range, but it might be just what you've got. The next question would be whether the seller knew about it ... but who can say?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

PeterOut wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i7g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I just read through this thread. What a lot of usless garbage.

Evidently nobody though to check for known problems with this model. There is one. It is exactly what you're experiencing.

Your dealer has a copy of TSB 04-036, which covers this problem in ALL '01 Civics. The problem is excessive wear in the 2nd clutch. The cure is to replace the transmission with one which has an upgraded 2nd clutch assembly.

Even if you're out of the normal warranty, this particular problem is eligible for "goodwill" warranty coverage. The dealer must get approval from Honda for this.

Visit your local Honda dealer. If this car still has its original tranny, you may be in luck.

Reply to
Tegger

All our used cars with less than 100,000 have a limited warrenty, and it you had bought it from us there would be scrambling to get it repaired. Check with the dealership. Raise a fuss, perhaps the will step up.. Steve

Reply to
StephenW

Odd... the only thing I found on the web that actually had a definition for this TSB (almost every hit I got described the symptoms, but not the actual problem) suggested it was a blown hydraulic pump... which is what I suggested in the first place.

Well either way, it's a job for a good shop or dealership...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote in news:gFBoj.33540$ow.26790@pd7urf1no:

.

Unless this is a situation unique to the OP's car, it is not a blown pump.

The actual TSB document may be found here:

with username lib and password accessChoose Auto Repair Reference Center from menu at left.Navigate to the OP's car. I keep posting that link, but nobody but me ever looks stuff up there.

Reply to
Tegger

but they sure do complain if they don't like the advice they get [and are not paying for]!

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:vLCdncnAMN58tj7anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

My advice is worth every penny. ;^)

Reply to
Tegger

And I apologize for not thanking you earlier for that great link (and credentials)

The ones I love (Not!) are the clueless who ask a question and then tell the poster that they're wrong. Plonk!

Don't sell yourself short. Sound advice is a rarity.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:rzHoj.1389 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

Or the idiots who come here, ask a question, get answered, then just disappear, never giving any sort of followup.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger

I tried to log in to the site with lib, access. didnt work. Made my own account.

Could not find Auto Repair Reference Center.

Is that the correct site?

Gene Wagenbreth

It is, and they do. I just logged in. It's still working.

The auto repair reference center is on the left side of the page once you're in. It'll bite you if you don't watch out!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Gene Wagenbreth wrote in news:fo06k2$ snipped-for-privacy@venera.isi.edu:

Sure is.

Just copied and pasted what you have above and it works swimmingly.

What's your browser's security setup? What browser?

Reply to
Tegger

I did find another copy of the actual TSB - you were correct, it's for the second clutch. Someone needs to make a search engine that'll actually give me what I WANT, not what I ask for.

Reply to
Matt Ion

That reminds me of a computer operating system called DWIM.

Do What I Meant

Reply to
bearman