Speakers stopped working

I have a 2001 Camry (purchased new) and just yesterday, my wife was driving, listening to the radio (audio system has been perfect up to this point) and she hit a pothole. Immediately the speakers went out and we haven?t been able to regain any audio at all since then.

I can still hear pops and crackles when the car hits a bump in the road, but other than that, there is no sound whatsoever, not even static. Also, all speakers (front and back, left and right) are affected. Finally, both radio and CD do not have sound.

Question is, before I take it in, are there any connections I can check for. I do not know the first thing about the internal workings of a car, but if there are a couple of simple things I can look for then any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to

I would look for a loose fuse first. Check your manual. It tells where the fuses are.

Reply to
Art

buy a new stereo at

I'm Right

Don't buy anything there... your factory equipment is better. BoughtCRAP4less.com (Earthquake... c'mon)

Reply to
DSPL

Does the channel light come on? Can you load/unload a CD? If its just sound bet it has a separate amplifier - check pulgs to it (not sure where it is on that model --- under radio behind dash or under the seat?)

Reply to
Wolfgang

I'd bet you're on the right track. Either the connection to the amp is broken somehow, or the amp itself took a hit. I would pull the radio and check the fuses and plugs first, than go hunting for amps. At the least, SOMETHING should work. I would try the radio, cassette or IN DASH CD first, then go hunting for ghosts.

It is something central, either the head unit or an amp if equipped.

But, the OP didn't tell us what WAS working, if anything (Head unit powers on, lights up; radio tunes but no sound.) A little more help, please!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Just check to make sure everything is plugged in all the way in the back of the unit. My bet is that something just popped out.

Reply to
ketterj

"levin1" wrote: > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:22:16 -0500, Wolfgang wrote: > > > Does the channel light come on? Can you load/unload a CD? If > its just sound > > bet it has a separate amplifier - check pulgs to it (not > sure where it is on > > that model --- under radio behind dash or under the seat?) > > I'd bet you're on the right track. Either the connection to > the amp is > broken somehow, or the amp itself took a hit. I would pull the > radio and > check the fuses and plugs first, than go hunting for amps. At > the least, > SOMETHING should work. I would try the radio, cassette or IN > DASH CD > first, then go hunting for ghosts. > > It is something central, either the head unit or an amp if > equipped. > > But, the OP didn't tell us what WAS working, if anything (Head > unit powers > on, lights up; radio tunes but no sound.) A little more help, > please!! > > >

Last poster asked for a little more help so here?s an update: This morning I turned the car on, turned the radio on and did a Fonzie on the dash just above the radio (if your not a Happy Days fan, I basically bumped the dashboard with my fist) - and the speakers worked! Radio was back on, I could tune to any station, CD player worked - it was back to normal! But of course, as soon as I backed out of my driveway and rolled the wheels over the curb and onto the street, they went out again.

So, on my way to work, I kept bumping the dash in different places, and every now and then the speakers would work, but they would cut out as soon as the wheels hit rough road.

Then I discovered a work around: if I pressed my thumb into the dash just below the radio, and held it there with some pressure, I could maintain the sound. As soon as I released my thumb, no sound. Hope these give you a little more insight into the problem.

Final thought: Since I don?t know how to disassemble the dashboard to access the radio and take it out, should I just give up here and take it in somewhere and save you all some time. Or, does some kind soul have the time to type up a step by step tutorial for me on "Dashboard Disassembly 101". I located a couple of Phillips head screws underneath the dash, next to the middle console, one on each side - I figured I would start there.

Thanks to everyone again for their suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

Reply to
DinoJ

Sounds to me like a pin in the slide-in connector of the radio is mangled or has become larger in diameter where it doesn't make contact with its mating pin. Perhaps even corrosion has set in. You have obviously found the source of the problem. Try this link:

--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.

Sorry, that used to have instructions on the site. Now it seems they want payment for those instructions.

--
No matter what happens, someone will find a way to take it too
seriously.
Reply to
badgolferman

Yeah, you're on the right track. I'm not familiar with the newer Camry's but most Toys are assembled the same. The plate over the radio is probably fitted in clips, and a couple screws for ggod measure. If the Ashtray is mounted in the same faceplate, look for screws there, too. Undo the screws you found, and any in the ashtray, and GENTLY pull the bezel away from the dash. It should just pull right away. You should see the mounting screws for the radio there. I'm betting, since holding the face plate in place makes the rado work, you have a loose connector right there. Look around before removing the radio, making note of where you pressed on the faceplate when it came on.

BUT you still didn't say if the radio was even turning on!! It appears it wasn't, so I would then guess the connector at the back of the radio is loose. Also. look for other intermediate connections. And, check all the wires are seated in the connectors properly. Good luck! Write back when you find the source!!

Reply to
hachiroku

Try

Wolfgang