Freon Gas Ppe. Which one to put it in?

I am not sure which pipe to put the Freon in on an 05 Accord. Is it the fat one or the skinny one? The fat one appears to be connected to the alternator and the skinny one to the radiator.

Reply to
Guest

I think you are over your head on this. There are too many ways to go wrong in recharging a car air conditioner made since about 1994 and several of them can seriously damage the compressor. In Ye Olden Days of R-12 refrigerant I recharged lots of air conditioners with good results, but the one time I went against the experts' advice and tried to charge a newer R-134a system it took me to school. Now I do what I advise you to do: take it to a professional. BTW - if your two year old car really needs more refrigerant (I doubt it) something is wrong.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That's what I thought too since my old Civic ran for over 5 years without the air conditioner going out. It seems to have happened after I took it to get an oil change.

Reply to
Guest

All the troubles of my friends and family with Hondas seem to be associated with an oil change, usually at some fast lube joint, where they snag a connector and unplug the AC compressor, or slice a hose or belt, with a razor knife or box cutter, or, they sell the poor customer on the idea of a 'engine flush'!

Hondas do NOT need an engine flush! They charge an extra $9,95 and pour a pint of kerosene into the oil fill, run the engine for five minutes, and then drain the oil.

At the least it caused sludge formation that required some disassembly to fix, and in one case it scored the cam shaft! It does definitely cause some oils to congeal into jello, we witnessed that!

Kerosene does NOT MEET SAE specification as an engine additive!

Slicing belts and hoses to then sell new ones plus install, all at hugely inflated prices (quoted $49.99 !) can get them in trouble, like with the BBB IF any one ever reports it!

Most folks just learn a lesson, and move on. The fast lube, Jiffy Lube, and other cheaters just live on!

No one touches my Hondas or other vehicles, but me, or Courtesy Honda in Lake Mary, Florida, because they have been absolutely marvelous to so many of my friends and acquaintances.

At 60, having worked on motor vehicles since 1963, I never thought I would ever state this about any service department or dealership, having been (or almost been) shafted so many times, in so many places.

If you haven't been to school on automotive systems, and don't have proper manuals, I really recommend you stick to doing simply maintenance, and asking here, as you notice things, and taking the advise of experienced technicians.

I have enve gotten some great advise here, that saved me $1982.00 in May, for repairs to my CRV! Thank you, guys!

Reply to
Oldtech