heater smells

I have a 1993 accord se 2 door. When I turn on the heater, it smells like solvent/ gasoline for awhile. After awhile, it's OK. If I set the air to recirculate, it's OK. Only when I set it to the fresh air does it smell. It's been like this for at least a year. Where is the fresh air intake for the heater?

Reply to
sbrittin

On the right side of the car in most cases at the windshield.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Most cars pick up outside air from under the windshield, behind the hood.

This is worrisome. If you are smelling gasoline on startup there may be a gas leak under the hood. Start the car once, shut it down after maybe ten seconds, and smell under the hood. If you smell gas, get it hunted down and fixed - the sooner the better. I had an engine fire once from a leaking injector. I don't recommend it :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I had a similar issue with my '93 Accord LX last fall before I unloaded it. In my case, a joint in the fuel line had become very corroded. There was no fuel leaking onto the ground, so it was fuel vapors that were escaping.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit