Help! Brake lights dont come on.

I already checked all the lights and that isnt it- i checked the fuses and that isnt it.

So now Im thinking its the Brake light switch?

But i have a question.............what else could it be? Dealer wants tocharge me $108 to do the work but what if it isnt the problem.

Is there anything else it could be?????

Reply to
Stephanie7

It would help to know the age of the car and perhaps model etc. Regardless, it most likely is the switch, they do fail. Not very hard to replace, so you could just buy one and do the work yourself.

Reply to
Randolph

"Randolph" wrote: > Stephanie7 wrote: > > > > I already checked all the lights and that isnt it- i checked > the fuses > > and that isnt it. > > > > So now Im thinking its the Brake light switch? > > > > But i have a question.............what else could it be? > Dealer wants > > tocharge me $108 to do the work but what if it isnt the > problem. > > > > Is there anything else it could be????? > > It would help to know the age of the car and perhaps model > etc. > Regardless, it most likely is the switch, they do fail. Not > very hard to > replace, so you could just buy one and do the work yourself.

duh! i shld have given that information...

so its a 1995 Honda Civic - automatic...

also my shift lock locks n i have to put my key in in order to get out of park--- i saw a previous note about someone saying thier shift lock was broken too and someone replied and asked if thier brakes light work------ is that related somehow??????????

Reply to
Stephanie7

Yes, the shift lock solenoid allows shifting out of park only when the brake pedal is pressed, as indicated by the brake light switch.

Replacement is not particularly hard. There used to be service manuals at

don't know if they are still there. Alsolook at

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Randolph

"Randolph" wrote: > Stephanie7 wrote: > > > > so its a 1995 Honda Civic - automatic... > > > > also my shift lock locks n i have to put my key in in order > to get out > > of park--- i saw a previous note about someone saying thier > shift lock > > was broken too and someone replied and asked if thier brakes > light > > work------ is that related somehow?????????? > > Yes, the shift lock solenoid allows shifting out of park only > when the > brake pedal is pressed, as indicated by the brake light > switch. > > Replacement is not particularly hard. There used to be service > manuals > at

don't know if they are still > there. Also > look at
interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL:
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> > -- > ======================================================= > A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at: >
ok thanks-

so i took it to a place to have a Diagnostic test done- to make sure it is the brake switch or not a wiring problem.....they shld be able to figure it out right with that test?

Reply to
Stephanie7