Honda 2004 Accord Air Filter

Please advise how to replace air filter. The a/f recepticle has 4 deep screws and I don't want to unscrew if unncecessary? Tx.

Reply to
patrick3279 via CarKB.com

Does it look like the following?

If so, those four screws have to come out. On my 1991 Civic, the screws can be removed with either a Phillips Head screwdriver or the appropriate size socket head wrench (8 mm, I believe, on my car).

I doubt they're threaded the whole length. They are not on my car, and the drawing above implies similar.

You'll have to lift part 5, the big cover above, a bit to lift the air cleaner out. The air flow tube should impede this a bit. You probably won't be able to lift it more than a couple of inches, but that's enough to get the air filter out.

A little force (by hand) should be necessary to free and lift out the air filter. Its rubber seal around the periphery sticks a bit sometimes.

"patrick3279 via CarKB.com" wrote

Reply to
Elle

I'm having the same problem with my 05 I4 Accord. I can never get the Air cleaner cover high enough to get the filter enough; the air flow tube just seems too stiff. Any ideas?!

Why is changing the air filter on this frekin car such a procedure?!

Reply to
elmo

From the looks of the drawing for the 2004 air filter, and based on the experience with my 1991 air filter, you might try unscrewing the four aforementioned screws, loosening clamp #13 on the air flow tube, and disconnecting the air flow tube (moving it in a horizontal plane, since the air filter box will restrict moving it up and down) at the joint where the clamp was. If the joint at clamp #13 isn't easily disconnected, try a joint further upstream.

I actually do this disconnection (that is, the equivalent on my 91 Civic) much more often than in times past, because I found it allows me to get to stuff beneath the air flow tube much more easily.

Be gentle. You may have to disconnect smaller pipes/tubing coming off the air flow tube, first. I tore one of these a little once but just used a bit of rubber silicone sealant to patch it up.

"elmo" wrote

&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=2004&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA5AT&catcgry5=AIR+C
Reply to
Elle

It's necessary to loosen those screws to remove the air filtre.

Reply to
Brian Smith