Honda Pilot EXL 2007 - remote start

Hi

Is the Pilot capable of remote start? If so, can it be activated?

Regards

Reply to
random electron

You have to install an auto-start unit first.

Reply to
Seth

"Seth" wrote in news:oW4mi.4$Kf1.0 @newsfe12.lga:

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me more?

Reply to
random electron

Unless you are asking for a step-by-step walkthrough of installing a unit, no, not really.

You want to add a remote control starter to your car, you will have to buy an appropriate unit and install it. There are many makes and models.

Reply to
Seth

"Seth" wrote in news:eyfmi.115$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

No, I'm not looking for a step by step. More precisely, I am interested in adding OEM equipment. So if it were a matter of buying the radio, or enabling a feature in the Honda computer or buying a Honda key with a remote start button.... That's what I was really looking for.

Thanks

Reply to
random electron

remote start is not a great idea. engine wear is greatest when the engine is cold. remote start ensures the engine reaches operating temperature as slowly as possible - it's much better to start and drive away immediately as it minimizes the time at which the engine is operating cold. habitual use of remote start also increases the rate at which engine oil contaminates - for the same reason.

if you're interested in remote start for climatic reasons, you're better off with a block heater and synthetic oil.

oh, and remote start also requires you leave a key near the ignition sensor so the security chip can disarm the computer lock.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:GdydnWA1I7NARAfbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Thanks for your help and insight.

Reply to
random electron

I know of no OEM unit to do this. That's why I say there are many makes and models. This is an aftermarket device.

Reply to
Seth

This part hasn't been true in a long time (at least when dealing with a decent brand and reputable shop). The better brands have add-on modules that memorize your key's signature and re-broadcast it when it receives a proper signal from the starter's main module. It lies dormant otherwise.

Reply to
Seth

fair enough. but now i can capture the code from /that/ transmitter instead and i /still/ don't need the key!

Reply to
jim beam

because it's not necessary and it's bad for the engine!

Reply to
jim beam

But how are you going to capture it from that transmitter? It only transmits when told to by it's controller and it's short distance (you need to be in the car, near the column, ready to receive when the auto-start is triggered remotely).

Pretty small window of exposure as opposed to reading the original key signature by brushing past the car owner as they walk away from the car.

Reply to
Seth

if i can capture the key code, i'm /definitely/ capable of transmitting the handshake that initiates it!

the point is, remote start leaves the tools of the job in the car. no remote start means you need to access the driver instead - not something most high tech car thieves are interested in doing.

Reply to
jim beam

They'd flatbed the car before going through the trouble you describe.

Reply to
Seth

that's common, but if i were a tech geek with a little code capture box, it would take me literally seconds to retrieve the code. skeleton key, code box, drive away. much easier than flatbed.

Reply to
jim beam

Which of the 4.3 billion codes are you going to capture? Different code sent everytime. You would need to capture the current code and the seed key and then know which algorythm to use to compute the next keycode.

And when running on remote start the steering wheel is still locked, if an automatic the transmission is still locked and as soon as you step on the brake or rev the engine to 3x idle it cuts out.

Reply to
Seth

If you knew the technology behind today's remote start units, you'd agree a flatbed is easier.

Reply to
Seth

if you don't have the technology, flat bed would be easier, yes. but i assure you, there are kids out there that do this stuff the techy way, just for the geekiness of it. and remote start with prolonged cold idle is still a bad for the motor.

Reply to
jim beam

You're still underestimating the complexity of the job. I doubt they'd spend the $$$ for the equipment just for the geekiness of it. I used to install these things for a living (owned my own car stereo/alarm/custom shop).

No argument on that.

Reply to
Seth

i'm not arguing against you dude, just pointing out that some people do this because they can. just like some people spend countless freakin' hours busting drm codes on a $15 dvd.

Reply to
jim beam