Hondas ain't what they used to be...

I still think Honda is a good car, don't get me wrong... I bought mine new in 07 and overall I am satisfied with it, BUT I want to warn people that they ain't quite the "greatest thing" that they used to be. (But what is? right?)

Well, my biggest complaint and the reason for writing this is the MILEAGE.

Remember when Civics were known for great mileage? Part of the reason I bought the Civic was because I wanted to save on gas. And the window sticker said something like 27mpg. But what I am getting is 21mpg, yes, in town, I don't do that much freeway or highway driving. Very disappointing to me, especially now in this gas crisis. So the point of this post, mainly is, if you are looking for gas mileage, a Civic ain't the way to go any more.

What Civic does have, and why I bought it, is the best safety features of a lower priced economy car: side and curtain airbags on both sides as well as the front airbags and was rated the highest or among the highest (I forget which) for safety at Consumer Reports.

Now, what else don't I like about my Civic?

1) It's just too damned big. And that may well account for the lack of good mileage. With my old Hyundai Accent I could get in and out of my apartment garage with ease. With this thing I have already scratched both rear side panels because a) it's so big and b) it's designed such that it gives you the illusion you are not as close as you really are to things. I'm an excellent driver with 38 years experience under my belt but this car, I swear, I just can't get a feel for where the rear bumper and sides are. Something about the way they designed it. Also part of this is that it has a terrible rear view from the rear view mirror. It just does not give you a good view - or "feel" - for the boundaries of the car, and it's much more difficult to see everything via the rear view mirror than most other cars I've driven. 2) Within the first 6 months I had to take it in because the automatic gear shifter jammed up on me; it would not go into any gear. After much messing with it I got it to go (I had to get to work!) and then I called and found out about the little trick of placing a screwdriver in the hole they put by the gear shifter for just this purpose. 3) It's already been recalled, for a problem with the brake lights. I remember when Hondas were almost never part of recalls.

So I'm not saying don't buy a Honda. In fact, I would rate it as about an 8 on a 10 scale. Quite frankly for ease of driving I liked my Hyundai Accent much better. Where this Civic excels is in comfort. It's much more comfortable than my Hyundai was. But the Hyundai was just as reliable and I owned it for 10 years and put about 70k miles on it (Yes, I am a low mileage driver! I live near my work and don't travel a lot.)

All I'm saying is that this Honda wasn't what I thought it was, especially in terms of mileage and ease of driving (rear view problems, "sense of boundaries"...), and now a recall on top of it.

So while I can still recommend Honda, I can't quite recommend them as resoundingly as I did before, particularly as it pertains to the Civic.

Reply to
mindfulnessnow

You coulda had a Fit.

If you go back and research, you'll see that today's Civic is bigger than a mid-80s Accord. Bloat, bloat, bloat.

And today's Accord is probably the size of a Maxima, or even bigger.

The Fit is what the Civic was, and fills that slot in the market.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The new models are no longer compact cars, but intermediate. I saw they were lists as 29/33 mileage. My 2004 averages 33 year round, up to 40 on highway.

Reply to
rick++

I bought an 08 Ex sedan auto as an alterntative for my wife to drive instead of her 03 Pilot. Got 32 on urban/hwy driving for the 1st tank. Of course, until it gets thorougly broken in I don't expect the mileage to be where ought to be. As for the Pilot -- we kept it since the best trade offer was $8500. Given that the car has only 75k miles I could not see giving it away.

Reply to
tww1491

I get more than that with my 04 V6 Accord (22-23 'round town, 29-30 highway)....

Reply to
L Alpert

Agreed. If someone wants a little Honda, then they need to go with the Fit. To me it seems like the Civic is the size that the Accord used to be. And now the Accord is huge. My wife's Accord and my Fit are about all our garage can handle.

Reply to
Truckdude

I owned a 1986 Accord 2-door hatchback, and today's Civics seem to me to be as big as my old 1986 Accord:

Steven L.

They were smaller.

They weighed 1000 pounds less.

They accelerated more slowly.

The Fit is slightly smaller, but is still very heavy and has more power than a mileage-maker should.

Heavy is a cheap and easy way to get safety and quietness, but I am ashamed that Honda isn't leading in the race to get the same safety and quietness with high tech materials, instead. Of course, nobody else is leading, either. But it's darned odd, I'll bet they could sell a lot of 1979 Civics if they just started building them again!

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Do you own one?

Reply to
Truckdude

Yes in my case, (Gen 2 Civics). I have an '82 and '83 and just located another '83 automatic and '81. All are hatchbacks.

I may go into the Honda biz...

JT

(Whose '83 averages 40+ mpg in mixed driving)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

No.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I'm a little disappointed in my wife's '07 4D Civic. I've bought more Hondas than any other brand -- a yellow '76 Civic 5 spd was my first.

I bought my wife a Civic because all the car magazines and Consumer Reports gave it such glowing reviews -- and my past Honda experience.

Road noise is excessive and that horn wouldn't be adequate on a bicycle. I don't regret the purchase, but they should have done a little better.

Reply to
Torpeau

Exactly true on the horn. Think they got a heckofa deal on a couple hundred thousand toy horns?

Reply to
muzzy

I guess I just didn't realize how MUCH BIGGER the new Civics are than the Civics of old, and this of course plays a major part in their downright LOUSY MILEAGE. If I had known I could have gotten a Hybrid for not too much more I'd have bought one. Also, had I known regular gas was going to go to $4.65/gallon here in California...

Anyway, not only does the new Civic get lousy mileage in town, it also is harder to drive (see my original post).

I took it on its first long distance drive, though, a few weeks ago and I got around 32mpg on the highway which was nice, and I loved the cruise control (1st time using it). The ride was very comfortable and the a.c. worked great even in 100+ degree weather, going up hills and such. In short, the car was great for a road trip!

I just wish I'd have bought a hybrid, and I wish they'd have made it just a little smaller, not too small - to me, the Fit is way TOO small! - but just more like the Civic's of a few years ago.

Reply to
mindfulnessnow