How do I get these #%$&! stickers off my new Civic window visors??

LPS does indeed make a contact cleaner. This is the stuff I use...

It should be used with good ventilation. Perhaps it might be best to remove the visors from the car or set up a fan blowing air through the car before using it. Note that I've used it for many purposes, e.g., circuit boards, stereos, as well as using it to remove the glue left behind on objects by stickers. So far, it has never damaged any plastics I've used it on.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Just bought a new Honda Civic LX sedan and so far I am very happy with it (only had it 2 days, though! (-; )

However, one thing I am unhappy about is the fact that they put these big yellow gaudy stickers on my window visor that warn about seating babies or children in the front seat! I don't even have any children or babies, nor do any ever ride with me!

But in trying to peel these stickers off, it appears that if I do so it might take the material on the visors off with it!

So my question is, How do I take these damned ugly warning stickers off my new car without ruining the upholstery that covers the visors?

Would appreciate help from anyone who has successfully done so.

Also, is there any place to buy Lo-Jack stickers to make thieves believe you have it even though you do not? Seems to me that the sticker is about as good as the device itself and would be a lot cheaper...

Reply to
D.K.

I did not dare to try to pull off those stickers. I couldn't envision any method to take them off cleanly. Yeah, it would be nice if they put those warning labels on post-it notes that you can easily remove.

Reply to
Bucky

I've never tried it, but you might want to consider using some type of solvent to loosen up the adhesive. I would start with LPS brand contact cleaner. It's a little expensive but it "shouldn't damage" most plastic. Note, don't even think about trying to use those cheap tuner cleaners. Most of them contain mineral oil and that's probably not something you want.

A last ditch option would be to buy replacement visors as long as the new ones didn't come with stickers.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@spam.now:

I think I'd begin with GooGone or similar product before LPS. LPS,I believe,is NOT a "contact cleaner".

Maybe some mild heat from a hairdryer would help.

Are they stickers or molded into the vinyl?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Are replacement visors available? Do they have stickers on them? How much do they cost?

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

I am not buying new visors at dealer prices! This is ridiculous! I'm going to complain to Honda about this. I mean, the stickers are really big and bright and obnoxious! I understand they want people not to put kids in the front seat, but really, people are going to do what they want regardless of the sticker. The stickers should be removable!

As for trying solvent, the visors are not vinyl or plastic, they are cloth-covered. The cloth is synthetic, yes, but I fear that any solvent will discolor them. I was hoping someone had done this and could tell me how to do it without damaging the upholstery.

If I don't hear from anyone who's done it, I'm writing the VP in charge of Customer Relations for Honda and asking him for new visors without the damned stickers!

Thanks for your replies.

replacement visors available? Do they have stickers on them? How

Reply to
D.K.

replacement visors available? Do they have stickers on them? How

What! about! heating them! gently with a hair! dryer?

a (!)

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew wrote in news:TXtvh.30$Oa.21@edtnps82:

I asked him that earlier today;No reply.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

LPS makes both a contact cleaner that is styrene safe and a lubricant known as "LPS 2." The contact cleaner has a light aroma and evaporates completely.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"D.K." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

The reason they are not removable is...liability exposure.

It's screwy. First the automakers are compelled by legislation and regulation into installing airbags, and then they are left open to litigation when those airbags kill and maim people.

You will not be allowed to buy sun visors without stickers. The only thing I can suggest is to buy labels to stick over the stickers.

But if you do that and later on somebody gets hurt in some manner warned about on the stickers, I certainly hope you won't plan on suing Honda because they made the stickers too easy to cover up.

Reply to
Tegger

I was figuring they might actually be there as the government (U.S. most likely and it's cheaper to have the same part across the board rather than a different one for each country) mandates it.

I was thinking having a tailor or upholstry shop re-cloth them.

Agreed.

Reply to
Seth

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:U8mdnTNauPpCCSPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

this the stuff you mean?

I wouldn't be using it inside MY car. I also don't believe it's going to unstick his sticker.

this is NOT a contact cleaner either.

LPS =Light Petroleum Solvent,IIRC (or maybe Light Penetrating Solvent)

Home Page;

Jim Yanik

Tegger wrote in news:Xns98C7C8AE9D7F7tegger@207.14.116.130:

He could always take them to a local automotive upholstery shop and have them recovered. Maybe even DIY,if he cares enough to tackle the job.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Why not write your Congresscreep and ask him/her what gives? $5 will get $10 that "Big Brother" put the gun to Honda's (and every other car manufacturer's) head and said "Warn Them and Make Sure They Listen or See"

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Don't bother. If they wanted you to remove the stickers, they would be removable. Do price the replacements though. It will give you an incentive to be careful with the ones you have.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Don't all manufacturers have similar stickers on their visors?

Reply to
Bucky

That's the stuff. It's a good non-residue contact cleaner (although I prefer the residue type for potentiometers, with Stabilant 22a being the best). When I worked in avionics we used LPS contact cleaner by the case. I agree - I doubt it would remove the stickers. In fact, I suspect the stickers are "ironed on" or otherwise permanently attached for the legal reasons others have mentioned.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I think so.

Reply to
Michael Pardee

If they are legally required to put them on, and make them big and yellow and ugly, then I'll forgive Honda for it; but if they are not required by law to put them on permanently, then it is a very poor decision to do so.

Reply to
D.K.