Innovations fill Ridgeline

Innovations fill Ridgeline at

Mike

The article, although complimentary, only tells half the story. I have owned a Ridgeline RTL since May and after 40 years of driving every type of automobile vehicle known to man I can finally say this "truck" is the best of all worlds.

MARTY

Reply to
shortspark

Would you care to elaborate?

I too looked at the Ridgeline, and could not get pass the looks, (front end)I am considering a Tacoma 05, its has real truck frame,low range transfer case, with towing capabilitys, and if not mistaken better fuel mileage, than the Honda. It doesn't have the secret compartment under the bed tho.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

There are several good Ridgeline forums I can refer you to where owners talk about every aspect of this truck: Honda Ridgeline Owners Club is perhaps the best. Also, Honda Ridgeline SUT Forums and Edmunds. You will learn all you ever wanted to know about this vehicle just by visiting these sites.

Besides these forums, there are many other sources at the car/truck magazine sites where "expert" drivers and critics give a blow by blow.

If looks are holding you back, well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - you either like it or you don't. Those that like the styling of the Avalanche for example will probably like the Ridge; those that do not won't since it looks something like the Avalanche.

I point to the ride, comfort and safety features most of all. The Honda tradition of excellence in engineering, reliability and innovation needs no introduction by me. This thing rides like an expensive car. In fact, one of the critics at a car magazine was so spoiled by it that he felt the $60,000 German sedans were left in the dust. It tracks the road better than any truck I have ever owned and I have owned several.

It is geared to the mid-size truck market and will not do what the huge pick 'em up cowboy type trucks will do (and I know, I live in the Texas countryside). The Ridgeline is pointed at another target. But it will haul a payload and tow 5,000 pounds so it is not too shabby in that arena. It won't haul a rancher's big cattle trailer to market but it will handle any bass boat nicely - and therein lies the target. It will also handle some mild off roading if you are into that but do not expect it to climb mountains.

It has plenty of room for five adults and those in the back seat are about as comfortable as those in the front. And no truck in history has earned as many safety stars in the various government testing. Oh, and btw, the Ridgeline was introduced in March but it is a 2006 model so there is a good jump there in model year/depreciation.

The Honda VTEC V6 is a time tested motor with only slight modifications as to torque (for hauling purposes). It moves out very nicely with as much pep as any truck its weight. I've owned a couple V6 Dodge Dakotas in the past and there is no comparison although I'm sure their V8 models are very quick. Gas mileage has steadly increased for me from 16.5 mpg to a current 19 mpg (I hope to settle at 20 when I get it really broken in). The best mileage I have ever had is 22.5 but that was all highway driving with no air conditioning. Since May, here in Texas, the air has always been on!

All in all I have been very pleased although at first I thought I paid a bit too much. But when I compare the features with other mid-size trucks, especially the ride and saftey built in, the more I believe I got a bargin. The usual good resale value for Hondas ought to be inheirent with the Ridgeline as well so I'll get part of the money back someday.

Please check the reference points I mentioned and spend some time at those sites before you buy anything. And by all means, take a test ride. Good luck with whatever you buy.

MARTY

Reply to
shortspark

Honda offers an optional front grille that greatly improves the standard ugly front end. But, again, beauty is subjective and an individual thing. Howard

Reply to
Howard

I agree on Ridgeline Owners Club -

It's a great forum with lots of info and it's got some informative members. They even did an interview with the chief engineer for the Ridgeline recently.

Reply to
garray