Odyssey 4 Speed versus 5 Speed and other question

Hi, I am trying to decide between a 2001 EX versus a 2002 EX. There is several thousand dollars difference and about 13k miles difference between the two. The 2001 has 83k and costs $11,500 and 2002 about$16,000.

The technical specs are almost identical, except in the engine. The

2001 has 210 HP vs. 240 and the 4 spd vs. the 5sp. I think I might want more horsepower, though I don't really know why (in this vehicle), but I don't know what the gearing matters here. Why would I want the 5spd? Is it worth four thousand more dollars? The size inside the vehicle appears to be identical. The engine is, of course, important, but the cabin space is also. I have seen the 2002 EX inside - is there any difference in the size in the 2001 EX?

Thanks for helping me.

Reply to
needin4mation

Both trannies had issues. But while the warranty on the 4-speed was extended to 7 years or 100,000 miles (or something like that), the 5-speed was subject to a recall. The recall suggests to me that Honda has solved their V6 auto tranny problems at least with the 5-speed.

On the other hand, the cost to replace the 4-speed unit would be, I am estimating, about $4000. So in the end, you'd be paying almost the same. However, for the peace of mind knowing that any required recall work on the 5-speed has been done (assuming it has in fact been done) and thus, far less likely to leave you stranded, I would spend the extra money up front and get the one with the 5-speed.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

So if there is no evidence the vehicle was serviced for the recall I should not purchase it (the 5 spd)? Do you have a source for the recall information? Here is all I could find:

needin4mation

The difference is in the engine, transmission, rear brakes (discs on the

02, drums on the 01), and the availability in 02 of factory leather and DVD.

You *want* to avoid the 4 speed transmission at any cost.

Get the 02. It is absolutely worth the difference in cost.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

go to

and ask your questions--but search and browse the forums first. You will have more information than you ever thought you'd get.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The recall was only one factor that caused the five speed to fail. They are still failing after the recall. Many of reports on

on failures even after the recall.

Reply to
Woody