Camry LE versus Standard

I'm trying to figure out the one-thousand dollar difference between the automatic Camry LE and the Camry Standard.

As far as I can tell, the only major differences are the inclusion of a power driver seat, keyless door entry, and full-size spare tire on the LE. That can't account for the one-thousand dollar difference in price, can it?

I haven't seen a Standard as my local dealer doesn't get many. Of the 25 or 30 Camrys he has right now, not one is a Standard. Would anyone know if the seat upholstery is identical between the two--maybe that accounts for the price diff?

Thanks.

Reply to
Built_Well

I wouldn't be surprised at all if those features you mentioned accounted for a $1K difference. Consider the price of adding cruise control as an option - I've seen $800 for just that. Then consider that I just had an aftermarket one installed for $275, and could have bought parts and possibly done it myself for less around $150. A full-size spare, though, is a wonderful thing to have if you ever get a flat far from home and don't want to drive 55 until you can get a tire fixed. However, you should definitely be able to find one for less than $1K. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

I think I just found the answer for the 1k diff:

"Upgrading to the LE adds interior brightwork, upgraded cloth upholstery, power driver's seat, remote keyless entry, engine immobilizer, driver-information center and a full-size spare tire."

Reply to
Built_Well

You forgot to mention Dealer PROFIT

Reply to
Clay

Seat fabric is indeed different - not sure of seat style/support though. I have SE which was 2k more than LE but well worth it. A dealer should have a book with pictures even if they don't have the car -- if they don't have the std model in stock you may not save much having them bring one in over taking one from stock. Your old car a Belaire? You're talking couple hundred for each of the items you listed so easily a grand. Resale of the LE model would probably be better too - at least an LE would sell faster.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Dealers do have a new model feature book which provides more detailed information than the sales brochures.

Reply to
Ray O

The little motor that moves the seat back and forth (and there is another one for up/down/tilt) costs $495 to replace if it goes south...and that's DEALER'S COST!!! Yeah, I can see where a power seat may add a hefty amount to the $100 premium!

Reply to
Hachiroku