Oil Change Interval - Manual Trans.

Anybody know what the transmission oil change interval is for the '99 Civic? I looked in my owner's manual and can only find it specified for automatic transmissions.

Reply to
JimBob

The (free) owner's link maintenance schedule accessible via

says it's 90k miles/6 years, whichever comes first, for your 99 Civic's manual transmission oil.

"JimBob" wrote

Reply to
Elle

For my '97 Civic, I believe it's every 30,000 miles. This is for the manual transmission. It is extremely easy to do. Honda recommends using their fluid. I noticed a big difference in shifting when I changed mine at 100K. Probably the first it had been done (I bought it used). You should replace the crush washers. The lower one is the same size as the oil drain plug. The upper one is larger and probably doesn't really need to be changed.

Rosscoe

Reply to
Me

I'll second the vote for replacing it every 30K however I like to replace both washers.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I gotta ask. Why?

I have never changed oil in a manual transmission and I have never had a problem in over, ah?, 250,000 miles.

It doesn't wear out. It shouldn't get "dirty."

JimBob wrote:

Reply to
ecarecar

Great. Thanks Elle.

Reply to
JimBob

you think it doesn't get dirty? i guess that's because you've never changed it and have therefore never seen the condition in which old oil comes out!

Reply to
jim beam

It does wear out.

It gets full of the products of fricti "HEY, IT SHIFTS BETTER ! ! I'M SO GLAD I DID IT ! ! !"

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Actually, the oil does wear. Viscosity changes and additives become depleted just for starts.

Sure enough it does. Where to you think the wear particles from the transmission end up? Change it sometime and see what lovely stuff comes out of there!

John

Reply to
John Horner

According to Click and Clack the Tappet Brothers, the contaminants are the problem. See:

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond